Torched cars

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nina

Torched cars

Post by Nina »

I noticed yesterday there are two completely torched cars on Girton Road, they are just parked one behind the other. Quite worrying, as thats where I live, and although I've read about cars being damaged on STF before never quite this level! Does anyone know anything about it? thanks
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Sorry, what's STF?
georgemichael

Post by georgemichael »

You're on it, mate! Sydenham Town Forum.

Welcome to Sydenham :D
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Oh, right!

Cheers.

You don't lurk in the bushes in Crystal Palace Park, though, do you?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi Nina. Torched cars are normally ones which have been stolen for the purpose of joyriding and then are burnt to destroy evidence, e.g. fingerprints and DNA. Usually applies to fast-acceleration sporty cars, hence it wasn't a good plan to own a Vauxhall Astra (being a prime target) at one time.

In other words, it's not just wilfull destruction of cars that just happen to be sitting there. I gues that's what you were asking, as it's likely that little will be known about those specific cars.
AliT

Post by AliT »

Unfortunately on this occasion it was the willful destruction of 'innocent' cars - as I understand it. A neighbour told me that the owners of both vehicles live on the street... not great news for us residents of Girton Road, or anyone in SE26 in fact. Sorry to be so gloomy.
biffa

Re: Torched cars

Post by biffa »

Nina wrote:I noticed yesterday there are two completely torched cars on Girton Road, they are just parked one behind the other. Quite worrying, as thats where I live, and although I've read about cars being damaged on STF before never quite this level! Does anyone know anything about it? thanks
i will try and find out about it when back on duty ..cant promise anything though
lbere

Post by lbere »

I have noticed over the last month or so that lots of burnt out cars are appearing on the small road off Fairlawn Park, that runs along side Home Park (cant remember to name of it, old age!!!!!) and today a burnt out car is sitting in the middle of Home Park.

So the oinks are doing the rounds!!!
Nina

Post by Nina »

Hmm thanks for the responses. Its not the best news Guess we just have to be alert to stuff happening. I notice it was in an area that was not directly overlooked exactly and I suppose people try to take advantage of that.
biffa

Post by biffa »

where i work we have major problems with car fires..they are dangerous , expensive for us to put out and ..what i recommend for "abandoned vehicles "ie no tax is to report them to lewisham council ..this link may be of help

http://www.lovelewisham.org/public/upload.aspx
mosy

Post by mosy »

It's distressing to learn that they might be cars that were simply parked there - apparently this has come to light in other areas also, so one hopes to goodness that it'll be a shortlived phase.

It might be worth checking the small print on insurance policy to see what cover there is, or what is excluded. I noticed a TV insurance advert saying that it covered vandalism, presumably implying that a lot of policies don't. Just a thought.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I've just come across <this article> in the NewsShopper.
Shenlong

Post by Shenlong »

Yep, one of the cars there was someone who lived locally in Girton Road, one of our delivery drivers who works over at Golden City.
simon

Post by simon »

Shenlong, would that be the feller who had a Renualt but now drives a Nissan Micra. Wondered why he'd changed his motor. Bad luck for him; seems like a hard worker who could well do without that sort of aggro.
BTW, saw a burned out car in the middle of Home Park today, wasn't there last week. Doesn't sit well with the supposed gentrification of Sydenham.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I saw another car burnt out near Alexandra Rec this morning, near the allotments. One of the neighbours said he heard it happened last night at around midnight.