Did you have a Saturday job in Sydenham in the 70's?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jackieboo

Did you have a Saturday job in Sydenham in the 70's?

Post by jackieboo »

I worked in the Ice Cream Parlour, Machins Bakers (almost opposite Wesley Hall) and in Wises Fish & Chips Shop nearby.

In the bakers then a bloomer loaf was about 13p and rolls were about 4p. It was family run and he started baking at about 3am.

I worked in the Chip shop during the 3 day week and there was darkness all around except the shop as they had their own generator. There were queues up the road.

There were no parking restrictions there or lights at Kent House Rd so you could park OUTSIDE the shop you wanted to go in, no red routes, no bus lanes, no traffic cameras, no double yellows. In fact hardly any street furniture which seems bizarre to think of now.

It was bustling along there on Saturdays as there was no Sunday trading and you had to get all your shopping in on a Saturday.

The Supermarket by the Golden Lion was called Wallis' and was always busy there. There was Safeway but it was new to the area then - or the Co-op.

Also a real night out then seemed to be going up to the Wimpy! (well it was all new then - eating out) LOL.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Not in the 70's but early 80's.
My sister had a Saturday job in the shoe shop, that it now Slatters Bakery.
She then moved onto Boots and I took over her job there when she left school.