SCAMS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

syenhamboy

SCAMS

Post by syenhamboy »

Fraudsters send fake Virgin Media emails threatening “automatic disconnection”

Action Fraud has received over 100 reports about fake emails that purport to be from Virgin Media. The emails threaten the recipient with “automatic disconnection” due to “invalid billing information”. The links in the emails lead to genuine-looking phishing websites that are designed to steal your Virgin Media account login details.

Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails, and never respond to messages that ask for your personal or financial details.

For more information on how to stay secure online, visit www.cyberaware.gov.uk

JGD

Re: SCAMS

Post by JGD »

I am receiving a new surge of semi-automate calls on my landline purportedly from BT.

An automated voice delivers a monotone message that reports that either my BT service is about to be cut off or my service has been compromised. It then invites you to press key #1 to speak to a technician.

Of course that #1 key must never be pressed. if it is you will be speaking to a criminal scammer who will do their best to convince you to hand over control to your pc or laptop. if they do gain access they will act in the most persuasive fashion to allow them to steal personal details and/or pay money direct to them to "fix" your problem.

It is insidious and is hate ridden, they will abuse you if they feel you are not co-operating with them. They are criminals. They deserve to go to jail.

Don't fall for it.

syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Action Fraud have received an increase in reports and intelligence where elderly victims are being targeted by individuals purporting to be police officers or traffic wardens. The victims are being approached whilst parked in a car park and are told by the suspect that they have parked illegally or broken a speed limit and a photo has been taken of their car for ‘evidence’.

Victims are advised that they will face a substantial penalty fine unless they pay a smaller upfront fee immediately. Victims, who opt for paying the smaller penalty, will be directed to a parking meter and asked to enter their card and PIN. These parking meters have been tampered with by the suspect in order to retain the card.

Once the victim inserts their card and are asked for their PIN, the victims are shoulder surfed for their PIN by the suspect. Once victims input their PIN, the card is retained by the machine and victims are told by the suspect to seek help from the company who operates the parking meter or their bank.

What you need to do
• If you are suspicious about the authenticity of the fine, do not pay it until you have verified it with your local council.
• Always shield your PIN from view when using an ATM machine, and never share your PIN with anyone.
• If your bank card is retained by an ATM machine, contact your bank immediately to inform them.

https://www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/

mosy

Post by mosy »

I've received two or three messages on my landline answerphone that an SMS message awaits, but it starts immediately so I only hear the tail end after the beep has beeped asking me to press buttons. The message says that my SMS incoming message will be deleted after a day, implying an urgency that seems rather unusual. Needless to say, I haven't obliged - or am I missing genuine SMS messages?

Any knowledge please? Ta.

JGD

Post by JGD »

mosy wrote:
4 Jul 2019 13:18
Any knowledge please? Ta.
It might be assumed that any official or authorised body attempting to contact you via SMS would know not to send it to a landline number in the first place. To my knowledge we have only received one official HMG SMS about CV-19 each via our providers (in my case O2) on our mobile phones.

Otherwise most bodies make clear statements that they will not contact you in any way that requires "interaction" ie that you must press buttons in response to a message or contact. Most specifically tell you that they will NOT ask you to do so or ask you questions about accounts etc.

So - you are doing the right thing by ignoring the fake message you are receiving.

You are not alone - the fake Amazon message is the one I have received most frequently in the last two weeks amongst others.

JGD

Post by JGD »

Today a new form of email scam got into my mailbox.

It informed me that I had cancelled my TV licence subscription and insisted that I proceed straight away and set up a new payment scheme - and guess what - provide all my bank details !!

It was a lie. There was not even a hint of truth in what was stated in the email. It was designed with only one purpose - to get me to give payment details to the scammer.

Clearly fake but possibly clever enough to deceive some people.

Designed to make the recipient (that is me) think they have a real problem and no longer have a valid TV licence and might be subject to prosecution by the authorities.

As in all of these situations, you must reject all requests to respond - you must NEVER provide bank details or credit card details.

NEVER believe an email that is designed first of all to scare you and then to con you into providing information to a scammer who will use that information to rob you.

Robbers, thieves, criminals - call them what you will but rob you of as much money as they can extract from your account is what they are experts at.

NEVER offer to make payment or provide details AT ANY TIME.

EVER.

syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I had a very genuine looking email saying my tv licence expired end of April and to click on something to pay. Luckily I knew immediately it was a fake as my licence doesn't expire in April and the licence number they gave was totally wrong.

JGD

Post by JGD »

A completely different approach yesterday.

An SMS message appeared on my iPhone. It said it was from BT.

It stated I had a problem with the settings for my BT email and had failed to make changes to my settings that they had advised me were necessary in an email sent previously.

Of course I had never received an email from BT.

There was a telephone number to contact. I rang the number and could hear the call being re-routed at least three times and then I got a recorded message stating an extension number - it did not identify the owner or company.

A second message appeared - this time with an embedded link to it.

It took me to a non-BT site - and then asked me to login with my BT email details. A classic phishing attempt.

Designed to get me to handover my BT details to the scammer.

As I said a very different type of attack.

As always - NEVER give ANY details to anyone - even when you may think you have a genuine link.

Only communicate with companies you deal with using the web-addresses you have used before and know are accurate.

ALWAYS.