Broken window theory

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Broken window theory

Post by syd »

Hi all, Ive decided to take a broken window approach to my road and Im starting by asking the council to fix a leaning road sign and ensure my neighbours bring their bins in via fix my street.

What needs to be done on your road?
In criminology, the broken windows theory states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes.
danmarwil

Re: Broken window theory

Post by danmarwil »

Not specific to my street, a lot of the pavements are uneven/poorly repaired with overgrown shrubs and other vegetation blocking portions of them.
syd

Post by syd »

danmarwil wrote: 10 Oct 2022 21:16 Not specific to my street, a lot of the pavements are uneven/poorly repaired with overgrown shrubs and other vegetation blocking portions of them.
Contact fix my street or BusinessSupportHighways@lewisham.gov.uk
syd

Post by syd »

Well Im shocked to say the road sign has been fixed and it took 7 working days!! or 1/4 prime minster!!
syd

Post by syd »

UPDATE

I’m pleased to say since the leaning road sign was fixed there has been no dumping!! It was almost weekly. My next task is getting planters at the junction with Kent House Road. There are planters all over Honor Oak and Brockley we deserve some too!!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Syd that’s kind of inspiring and well done . I sometimes think we suffer from a kind of Imposter Syndrome in that we feel we don’t deserve those nice things like planters and arty bollards. Let’s face it we don’t deserve knife crime but we get that . Good luck with your planters .
syd

Post by syd »

Nigel wrote: 30 Sep 2023 07:48 Syd that’s kind of inspiring and well done . I sometimes think we suffer from a kind of Imposter Syndrome in that we feel we don’t deserve those nice things like planters and arty bollards. Let’s face it we don’t deserve knife crime but we get that . Good luck with your planters .
Cheers Nigel. I reckon the environment can change some behaviours. Is there anything in your area that needs fixing?
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Nice to see this message.

I've been reporting flytipping and assorted stuff for years. Now using Love Clean Streets app, which seems to be the council's latest favourite.

Flytips seem to be cleared quickly. Other things are a bit slower.

Managed to get some yellow lines repainted too. First lot took 3 years. Second lot a few months. Still waiting for the third section, months later.

I've also been litter picking daily with my kids on the way to school and back, because I'm so sick of wading through rubbish. I've been doing that for 8 months now. Have filled hundreds of bags, mostly from Bell Green. I leave them by bins or street signs, take a picture, report it as Community Clean Up on the app and they are gone pretty quickly.

Bell Green and Lower Sydenham just seems so neglected. I'm sure if we all pulled together, we could achieve change.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hi b_s - I've long admired your tireless work around Bell Green. We have a great volunteer who does our streets regulary. But the rubbish soon returns. I guess we need to help more.

Are those blue bags Lewisham issue? And how efficient are they at collecting them?
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

The blue bags are poundland issue. :lol:

£2 for a roll of 18!

They are very good at collecting them, although it helps if it's somewhere where they can stop the wagon safely. I usually leave them by a bin or in one of the places where they pile the Lewisham blue bags, Or I just add to the pile.
syd

Post by syd »

Hey this is inspiring. Does anyone know is Cllr Best comes to this forum? I need to know how to “apply” for planters and fancy bollards!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hi b_s - I've invested in a £2.99 picker-upper from the Sydenham Road Bargain Shop. Doesn't look too robust but it helped me do our street today. Thanks for inspiring me. Maybe the Sydenham Assembly should give a proper one plus Lewisham bags to folks who will do their street once a week.

So another page for Cllr Best or even Cllr Lavery ...
syd

Post by syd »

Hi, I’ve got this message about reporting problems -

The Council’s preferred reporting portal is www.lewisham.gov.uk/cleanerlewisham. Please could you consider downloading Love Clean Streets this app and using it to report issues directly to us. This is the most efficient way of letting us know about problems in your area as all reports will go direct to the appropriate team and you will be able to view progress on your reports.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

stuart wrote: 8 Oct 2023 17:30 Hi b_s - I've invested in a £2.99 picker-upper from the Sydenham Road Bargain Shop. Doesn't look too robust but it helped me do our street today. Thanks for inspiring me. Maybe the Sydenham Assembly should give a proper one plus Lewisham bags to folks who will do their street once a week.

So another page for Cllr Best or even Cllr Lavery ...
That's great to read.

I've been through a fair few litter pickers and found these ones are the most robust so far.

https://www.hhenvironmental.co.uk/shop
syd

Post by syd »

syd wrote: 12 Oct 2022 20:58
danmarwil wrote: 10 Oct 2022 21:16 Not specific to my street, a lot of the pavements are uneven/poorly repaired with overgrown shrubs and other vegetation blocking portions of them.
Hi, Did you get a response?
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

syd wrote: 20 Oct 2023 16:04
I haven’t reported it yet but it’s got worse so will do it this week to see if I get a response.
syd

Post by syd »

danmarwil wrote: 21 Oct 2023 18:39
syd wrote: 20 Oct 2023 16:04
I haven’t reported it yet but it’s got worse so will do it this week to see if I get a response.
keep us updated 👍
syd

Post by syd »

Afternoon all,

I thought I’d share a few small wins. Since my zero tolerance stance to mess begun my neighbours are bringing their bins in and the council trimmed a massive hedge that hadn’t been touched for years!!
syd

Post by syd »

UPDATE

I’ve got the tarmac around a tree repaired as the roots were breaking through.

The small victories add up!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Thought this was yet more roadworks until I looked a little closer.

No hole. It would appear some local flytipper has gifted Lawrie Park Gardens this present for Christmas. Lewisham Council Taxpayers will have to pay to get it carted away.