Lewisham's mayoral by-election

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Lewisham's mayoral by-election

Post by stuart »

Brenda Dacres is set to be the new mayor of Lewisham.

Councillor Dacres was revealed as Labour’s candidate in the upcoming mayoral by-election on January 24.

While she still has to win the election set for March 7, the last time voters went to the ballot box to elect a mayor Labour’s candidate Damien Egan swept to victory with 58 per cent of the vote.

More: https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/2408 ... -lewisham/
Just John

Re: Lewisham's mayoral by-election

Post by Just John »

surely the rules have now changed. There is no alternative vote.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

The election booklet is online: https://lewisham.gov.uk/-/media/0-mayor ... ashx?la=en

Some insight into the regime during Egan's reign here: https://themaslinmemo.blogspot.com/2024 ... -2024.html
Just John

Post by Just John »

a lack of choice. Not a single suitable candidate. The least unelectable would appear to be the Conservative.

I wonder whether the changes supposedly made by Egan remain in place after he goes. They were entirely cosmetic of course. He ruled as he wanted despite the appearance of a cabinet.

His method was to ignore the views of the electorate.

Despotism at its worst.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I have never voted Tory and I don't think I'll start now. She says in the article she's going to remove fencing around playgrounds. Which I presume will result in children wandering off and dogs wandering in... Not much thought as to why playgrounds have fences at all...

I can't vote Labour, because what I see out on the streets, in terms of litter and flytipping and the sporadic reaction of the council to reports (why are drains I reported last winter still blocked to the brim with soil?).

The independents are unrealistic. One says they will open up all the closed stuff, but where will the money come from?

I feel I should vote green, as the climate is a real problem, but Lewisham isn't going to change the world and I often worry there's too much stick and not enough carrot. For instance, we simply don't have the transport connections other London Boroughs have as alternatives to cars. I got £360 of fines in a week over Xmas, driving through some pretty poorly signed LTNs with no clue until the fines arrived. Meanwhile you take your life in your hands cycling around here as there are no cycle paths on the streets.

Then we have the Lib Dem. He actually talks about litter and in the article talks about funding and support for volunteers. At least he seems to understand what's going on out there. Has council experience too, although I don't know how he performed (voted out in the Labour takeover in 2014).

Greens seem to have outperformed Lib Dems in recent elections, so perhaps more chance of change by voting that way.

It's hard to see Labour losing, but on the other hand, it's likely to be a very low turnout imo. So always the chance of an upset.

Looks like I have to choose between Green and Lib Dem. May be a lucky dip on the day.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Now it seems George Galloway is popping down to Catford on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/WorkersPartyGB/stat ... NCrqw&s=19
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

stuart

Post by stuart »

A notable result is the top three candidates all campaigned on a pro-ULEZ & LTN platform. The bottom four were all anti-ULEZ & LTN.

I hope this may convey to the supporters of the vandalisations we have experienced have no basis of popular support however heartfelt they may feel personally.

It looks like the Greens are now number two. Implication for the May elections and the General Election in Lewisham?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

@Stuart - I'd like to think your analysis of pro ULEZ/LTN candidates is correct and will follow through to broader elections. However with this being a byelection and the low turnout I think we have to wait and see. But a great motivator.
stuart

Post by stuart »

True, but 80% of those that voted supported a pro candidate. Extrapolating from 20% to 60-70% turnout is unlikely to reverse that substantial majority.

But hey - not long to wait. Less than 2 months to the London Mayoral election. Same clear divides on the issue. We shall see.
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

51pc of the vote on 20pc turnout = 11pc of the electorate. What a dog's dinner.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

160,000 didn't vote.
Winner only had 21,000.
Cost of £15 per vote (£635,000 ÷ 41,000).