Sydenham Delivery Office up for sale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Post by marymck »

Hear, hear, Postman. Since the closure of the Silverdale sorting office our post doesn't get delivered till the afternoon. And as I work from home and can't start my day's work until it arrives in the post, this is a real pain. (Actually, it's literally a pain as it also means I'm scared to go to the loo because if I don't get to the door in the 20seconds that the postman allows between ringing the bell and leaving that's my day's work lost. Also because the attempted delivery is so late in the day if I missed it I wouldn't even be able to pick it up from the Forest Hill sorting office till the next day!)

BUT ... given that it's happened, I love the idea of a market and/or restaurant.

BTW why oh why oh why ... do postmen litter the streets with red rubber bands? Don't they have pockets?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
HIya gis a job!

I'll watch your door whilst you go to the loo!

BTW why oh why oh why ... do postmen litter the streets with red rubber bands? Don't they have pockets?

Well i do the green bit............i pick up the bands and re-use them...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

if you work from home, and therefore have your property registered as a business address, why don't you receive a business postal service? I thought the RM had a preferential service for business.... was I mistaken?
marymck

Post by marymck »

Hi Bensonby

I work from home as a freelance, but as such it is not a registered business address in terms of business rates because I do not run a business from home.

Hi Annie

I'm constantly picking up these wretched red rubber bands. But there are hundreds of them all over Sydenham ... though oddly enough I've not seen them anywhere else. I'm concerned about the wildlife though, as I imagine they cause them the same sort of dangers as deflated balloons.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

marymck wrote:Hi Bensonby

I work from home as a freelance, but as such it is not a registered business address in terms of business rates because I do not run a business from home.
Ah I see, I dion't know much about the ins and outs of working from home, but if you were to register as a business or "part business" address then would you get a better postal service? Would it be financially wothwhile if you did/could? or would it be prohibitively expensive?

Can't the people that you work for just courier you stuff?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

bensonby wrote:if you work from home, and therefore have your property registered as a business address, why don't you receive a business postal service? I thought the RM had a preferential service for business.... was I mistaken?
Our postman came to work today , tried to back the front door down t hen threw the mail at receptionist. Not good as it contained a hardback book.

Not sure if that's preferential!

Aside from that, lots of properties aren't allowed to be registered for business under condition of the lease and even some freehold houses aren't. Besides, I believe you have to pay business rates if your home is registered as a business on the room specified (please correct me if I am wrong, it's certainly the case on live/work units).
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

yes, but don't the business rates only apply for that 1 room (the office or whatever)? Are they really expensive, even for a room?

I was under the impression that any kind of business being run out of a dwelling had to be registered in someway.... (and therefore entitle you to more "business" services)

That said, i really don't know what I'm talking about in this case...
Postman

Post by Postman »

Hello! Your post is late because off the delivery office moving to Forest Hill. The post peoples shifts has also changed from 6 till 2, too 6 till 4. The managers at Royal Mail want posties to work a 10 hour day. The rounds have got twice as long, making the job even harder. The trouble is the change in shift is very hard work indeed. Walking the streets from 10 till 4 each day with 200kg off mail is just too much.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Postman wrote:Hello! Your post is late because off the delivery office moving to Forest Hill. The post peoples shifts has also changed from 6 till 2, too 6 till 4. The managers at Royal Mail want posties to work a 10 hour day. The rounds have got twice as long, making the job even harder. The trouble is the change in shift is very hard work indeed. Walking the streets from 10 till 4 each day with 200kg off mail is just too much.
200kg????? That's nearly 4 times my bodyweight!!!
Postman

Post by Postman »

yep..and thats alot of letters!
Postman

Post by Postman »

Also...... About the elastic bands. Do you remember when they were all brown? The new red ones are biodegradable. However they shouldnt be droped on the floor nevertheless.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Postman wrote:yep..and thats alot of letters!
Sorry for being really pedantic Postman, but are you sure you mean 200kg and are you talking about posties actually physically carrying this in a mailbag on their back? It's just that the safe limit for lifting is generally considered to be 25kg......

(I know this isn't the point of the thread, I just have a mental image of Royal Mail being staffed by weightlifters and need to get this straight for my piece of mind :) )
Postman

Post by Postman »

The max bag limit is 16kg. (thats our red bag) but mines usally about 22kg because the weight off the roads i deliever, are over 16kg. My trolly that i took out today was 176kg. You may have seen your postman pushing a like red wheelbarrow trolly, these can carry about 150kg to about 180kg. So my first Bag today and my trolly was a total of 198kg for the day. Not bad for a days work.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying!
Postman

Post by Postman »

No probs! Nice to meet you too! :wink:
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Having to trudge round to Forest Hill office is a real inconvenience - and we get a lot of post to pick up as we have a tiny letterbox.

However, I must say the staff at Forest Hill are really good - always efficient and extra helpful - they always seem to know exactly what's going on. When we had a problem with an urgent package recently the guy there was brilliant and sorted something out to make sure we got our delivery. 8)

Our postie is excellent as well - sorry to hear the shifts are so tough though!
Postman

Post by Postman »

Hello!

It nice to hear something good about the posties. We only hear the ulgy complaints, and never get any credit for the hard work done all year around - rain and snow. Yayy to the post people!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The postman who comes around Fairlawn Park is really nice, as are the staff at Forest Hill depot.
scott.l.hamilton

What to use the sorting office for??

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

IF the sorting office was to be bought for local use and the main area was intended to be used as a market / event / exhibition hall, what would people be interested in seeing, here is a quick list of my thoughts:

Mum and Baby groups
Scouts
Youth group
Sydenham Radio
Local business center advice Office (?)
School functions
Charity fundraisers
Art exhibits
Performances
Sydenham arts festival???

keeping in mind that it would need to be a "market hall" for at least three days a week....

BTW there is a very strong chance this will happen...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any chance of a little booth for Sydenham Town to do vox pops or provide an info resource? Or would I need to find a sponsor? This stuff doesn't come free ... or does it?

Admin