Next pub crawl - late November

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Thomas

Next pub crawl - late November

Post by Thomas »

At last night's pub crawl we thought we'd try to sort out another do in late November - would anyone be up for a few drinks on Saturday 29th November?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

YES.
crystal palace are at home to QPR on that date, but i should be back in sydenham from 6.30pm.
Very enjoyable last night. My only gripe was the thwat in the 2 halfs who came uncomfortably close to me and seemed at one point to be almost provocative. However, he was just a drunk tw@t talking sh1t (much like myself) so nothing came of it.

I am wondering whether this will become a regular occurance as we have 100% positive feedback from last night. I'm for the next date anyway.

Sorry, can't make the quiz at the woodman tonight...Again..

Ali B
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i will say i am up for it, but it's might close to christmas....i'm usually busier than a blue arsed fly at that time of year.

soryr i couldn't make last night - work stuff.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Lambchops, you are a lightweight. Bensonby could drink you under the table in a matter of minutes. Please don't 'big yourself up' on STF unless you have the bollo's to come out and play. All this work getting in the way is highly convenient.

Ali B

(I think I've just called a showdown....)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Lambchops is just scared of me....its no cooincedence that he withdrew straight after I said I'd be coming :P
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I will not be drawn into a childish drinking competition.

Thomas has proposed a meeting of intellectuals, artists and beautiful people for a pre-Christmas gathering and you want to turn it into an event that even a Goldsmiths University student would blanche at.

You should be ashamed, Ali B.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Very funny ALIB, the idea of the showdown/drinking competition. It was great meeting you and Sydenham, Monica, Bensonby (sorry I listened to you more than spoke with you), Stuart [again] and our two American cousins. Ditto to yourself Thomas, I am sorry that the table setting meant I didn't get to speak with you as much as I (at least on my part) would have liked.

I think this could snowball into a decent and regular occurence. From a purely selfish point of view I like the idea of starting in the DWH and moving down the hill next time...

DWH - Woodman - Bricklayers - Railway - Dolphin. It's just easier for me and has the bonus of spending the final and perhaps longest part of the night in Sydenham's best pub by far, IMHO.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

isn't the DWH a bit far off? i.e. its quite a bit of a walk to any other pubs. Perhaps it would be better to just arrange to have an evening there - if someone would be kind enough to scout it out to see if its worthwhile.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

it's closed at the moment.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The DWH is currently closed for refurbishment and is due to reopen towards the end of the month and is intended to focus much more on the restaurant side of the business - I will check out its suitability for inclusion on the pub crawl once it reopens (anyone wanting to join me can PM me). I'd be quite happy if it was suitable because it is the pub nearest to my home! The Talma is another pub I'd like to check out - I've never been there but every time I've walked past it seems like a well-kept fairly old-fashioned small pub that serves a loyal local market. I do like the Woodman and would suggest we also go there on 29th November but I'm puzzled as to why it isn't more successful. I suggest we sort out a route closer to the time.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'd certainly like to join you when the DWH opens again Thomas. Good point about it's isolation.

Perhaps then:

Woodman - Bricklayers - Windmill - Fox & Hounds - Talma

Although if you're in The Talma it's only a short schlep to the DWH?

It's not my call, merely my suggestion for the next crawl.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

is the talma the one on wells park road?

hasn't it got a sign outside advertising "friendly atmosphere"?

heheh.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

That's the one, on the corner of Taylor's Lane.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i was suggesting a start at the DWH as it is downhill to the other pubs. If we had to trek uphill after a few bevvies, it may prove problematic. Thomas, it's all yours. . . .
and i like the idea of it being a regular thing (monthly or so). Different start points also give people the choice about which crawl they want to participate in. If this does become regular, i suggest a relay-type format where different posters pick up the baton and suggest the next date and route.

Go Thomas....

Ali B
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

OK we've set the date already (29th November) - start time 7pm - will sort out a route based on people's suggestions closer to the time.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

ALIB wrote:i was suggesting a start at the DWH as it is downhill to the other pubs. If we had to trek uphill after a few bevvies, it may prove problematic. Thomas, it's all yours. . . .
That's a good point ALIB. I don't mind keeping to pubs in Upper Sydders next time but agree it'd be good to keep going with gravity as the alcohol intake increases...which was my thought process for the suggestion of the following route:

Woodman - Bricklayers - Windmill - Fox & Hounds - Talma

I'm easy though and and looking forward to whatever Thomas suggests.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

please don't get dispirited (sp?) because the next crawl maybe slghtly outside your comfort zone. Rest assured other areas of Sydenham will be comprehensively covered over the coming year.
I hope someone promotes a crawl in Lower Sydenham later on, even though i am an 'upper' resident. I really want to try The Bell and the Prince Albert and other pubs in that locale.

Ali B

Bell and Prince Albert. I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but this is the cafe, so best not post anything smutty....
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Hadn't though of the Bell. I suppose for a Lower Sydenham crawl the route could be:

Two Half's - The Dolphin - Golden Lion - Prince Albert - The Bell Taven [?] - Railway Tavern

In case any confusion breaks out may I point out that my understanding of Lower Sydenham covers anything from the railway to the 'right' (going down the hill). Anything to the 'left' of the railway (going up the hill) is Upper Sydenham. I know some people will want to say "oh, but I live in Mid Sydenham/NW Sydenham/Central Sydenham/just Sydenham. I don't live in Lower Sydenham as that starts beyond Kent House Road".

If you'd like to check the map I think you'll see that Lower Sydenham is indeed stamped as anywhere to the right of the railway line. Therefore I mean the Railway Tavern on Southend Lane by Kangley Bridge Road.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I suggest we cover Upper Sydenham on 29th Nov and Lower Sydenham for the next event (which someone else can arrange), taking a fairly loose definition of what counts as Upper and Lower Sydenham.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Absolutely agree Thomas. After all, you have the bridge, as they say.