Railwatch!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Barty

Railwatch!

Post by Barty »

You've never had it so good :D

The 0657, 0718, 0729, 0745 and 0753 all on time off Syd this morning, and the 0740 one minute late :D :D
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

WOW!!! I was on the 7.40am, caught it by the skin of my teeth so good thing for me it was a minute late.

That's unheard of lately those other trains being on time. Shame we're so used to the opposite that we have to make a point of it when they ARE running to time though. :roll:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sheesh I just knew someone would say that!

Illustrates the point that sometimes the railways just can't win :D :D :D :D :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

We've seen the "what annoys passengers" comments - how about some "what annoys rail staff" commments? :D :D

For example, why do passengers press the Help Point button and walk off?! Or press "Energency" and panic us in the control room when they only require information!!!

Why do passengers waiting to board a train insist on crowding round the doors and trying to push their way on before people have got off!!!

:D :D
boon

Post by boon »

Barty wrote:Why do passengers waiting to board a train insist on crowding round the doors and trying to push their way on before people have got off!!!
I think that falls under "what annoys passengers" as well. Or at least those passengers who know the correct procedure, which seems to be the majority.

I usually just continue on my way getting off and happily knock into anyone trying to get on before the door is clear. It's rather satisfying.
Barty

Post by Barty »

That's true.

Last time it happened to me, trying to get off a train onto a crowded platform, I just stood blocking the train door so nobody could get on until someone moved sideways to let me off. I kinda fill an open train doorway, especially with a chunky bag over my shoulder, so nobody got on till i got off!!!

Seriously, though, this sort of thing causes delays, which causes complaints, which.....yeah change the record barty :D :D :D

We even have a recorded announcement which we can play when crowded trains arrive at a station.....please let passengers off the train first......why on earth do people need telling :D :D
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Yes crowding the doorways and pushing to get on is really annoying.

Sadly Barty the 0819 was its' usual few minutes late into Sydenham this morning. I really must make an effort to leave a few minutes earlier to get the 0808 which seems to be nearly always on time! At least if i'm running late I can always rely on the 0819 to be a bit late too :lol:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

on the whole, the transport system here is bloody good.

coming from australia where you have to wait half an hour for a train, only having to wait 10 - 15 minutes is a luxury.

however, the cost of a ticket is out of proportion to the service delivered, in my opinion.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Yes indeed it was, departing four minutes late due to a fault with the door on a preceding train. That train stood at Battersea Park for about 15 mins while attempts were made to fix it, so following trains had to be diverted onto other lines to go round it, which delayed the diverted ones and the ones that should have gone straight by but were delayed by the diverted ones!!!

Hope you heard my announcement :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

10-15 mins? I was astounded this morning when I actually monitored and counted all the peak departures from Syd....
0657 0718 0729 0740 0745 0753 0757 0808 0819 0826 0833 0840 0851 0857!!!!!!!!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Suzee wrote: the 0819 was its' usual few minutes late into Sydenham this morning..... the 0808 which seems to be nearly always on time!
Here's a thought as to why....

The 0808 from Sydenham starts at West Croydon. It hasn't had a very long journey to get to Syd, and more importantly, it doesn't call at East Croydon or Clapham Junction - probably the two busiest stations served by Southern outside of central London, and places where any slight delay during peak times starts affecting dozens of trains.

The 0819 comes from Victoria and passes through Clapham Junction......

:D
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Just want to thank Barty. It's really helpful having someone on here who can enlighten us as to why things happen on our commute that delay us, and it makes it a bit easier to tolerate next time it does happen. I think sometimes it's the not knowing and not being kept up to date that makes it really bad. One day from a certain station - not Sydenham - I was going to a hospital appointment and the train just didn't come. We all stood there like twits not knowing what was going on for about 20mins before we all filtered down to ask! I understand if the staff have no info, but TELL US, it makes it easier to take, and helps us plan whether to make alternative arrangements.

So anyway, thanks Barty!! :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

Thanks Nickerbockers :D

It's true, sometimes the staff do have no info. Say there's a train due to leave London Bridge at 10.00 and come down thru Syd. Say we had that broken down train at HOP that we had last week.....that train at HOP heading towards London Bridge might well be the one that will form the 10.00 out of London Bridge.

So until the broken down train gets fixed nobody will know when it is going to get to L.B., and when it will go back out again as the 10.00 from L.B. So we can't tell you how late its gonna be, just that it will be late.

How was it this morning anyway? I'm late turn today so no clue what's been happning thus far!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

09:51 on time.

old train.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote:Why do passengers waiting to board a train insist on crowding round the doors and trying to push their way on before people have got off!!!
Quite, It is after all, against the law to get, or attempt to get, on a train while people are getting off..... and I have pulled people up on that fact before as well as its also downright rude.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Is it really? i didn't know that. More crucially, from an operations point of view, it causes delays. Which annoy everybody.

<hangs head in shame> Must find out about Railway bye-laws I think.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Barty

First its good to have your view on what's going on regarding the railways - thank you.

Second - if what Bensonby says is true (and that doesn't imply for a moment that I in any way think he can't back up what he has said about the subject earlier in this thread) then could you use your influence and ask for the announcements about "please let people off the train first" to be changed so they reference the law in question - perhaps mentioning the sanctions that could be applied. Also maybe ask the British Transport Police to get involved - a few rude passengers being arrested and charged would really send the message out that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

On the other hand - probably best to leave things as they are.

James.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sydenham wrote:...could you use your influence...
I'm afraid you overestimate my importance! Small cog in a big machine, I think I posted somewhere!

These "please let people off the train first" annoucnements tend to be co-ordinated by staff at the stations concerned, as they have a better handle on individual trains arriving and departing at their station and how congested they are.
Barty

Post by Barty »

From our info system this morning
Southern wrote:Southern Christmas and New Year services

Thursday 1 January – a Sunday service will operate. Engineering work will take place in the Clapham Junction area, leading to minor retiming on some services.-----Friday 2 January – a revised Saturday service will operate with some additional morning and evening peak services. Engineering work will take place in the Clapham Junction area. As a result services to and from London Victoria are subject to planned retiming, diversion or in some cases, cancellations. Gatwick Express will operate to a half-hourly frequency.

Further Information:

Further Information is available from the Southern Customer Services on Tel: 08451 27 29 20 (calls may be recorded) Minicom/ textphone: 08451 27 29 40 or National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.
Sunday service today, revised Saturday service tomorrow

Happy New Year everyone
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

why is it a saturday service tomorrow? Its an ordinary weekday?

I assume they won't be charging peak fares before 0930?