Increased aircraft noise

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chazza

Increased aircraft noise

Post by Chazza »

Is it just me, or has there been an increase in aircraft noise in Sydenham over the past week or so? Planes seem to be much lower and further south than I've seen them before. I never even used to notice the noise outdoors, but now I can hear the odd jet engine from my lounge.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I grew up in Southall, about 3 miles east of Heathrow and right in the flight path, so I'm immune :-D
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

there was a lot of aircraft noise last night.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

There was an article in yesterday's Times reporting that 'proposed' changes to Heathrow's use of runways will cause an increase in noise to some areas, but also a decrease to others - and Sydenham was identified as one of these areas benefiting.

So I can't give any reason for yesterday's noise but in future we might get less.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes seems to be more and I for one object.
At least I am not hypocritical . Since 1973 have taken 2 return flights , Los Angeles and Duesseldorf ( business ). Hardly a frequent traveller.
Prefer to take my holidays in UK on very near continent by train.
STOP CHEAP FLIGHTS LEAVE AIR FOR BUSINESS AND VERY OCCASIONAL LONG DISTANCE WHICH SHOULD BE A LUXURY AND COSTED LIKEWISE.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Eagle, there's a middle ground between cheap and luxury. Personally I have parents on two continents - ie one here in England and one in Australia. That's a situation that is completely out of my control, but they're not getting any younger. You make air travel a luxury and how am I meant to afford to see them if something happens to them? There's definitely an argument for removing bargain flights, but I don't think you should go to the other extreme.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

you take your holdiays in the UK because you are very near incontinent?

sorry to hear that, mate.

i love that it costs a bit to go back home.

"it's *insert family member* wedding next year, are you coming home for it?"

"oh, with the prices the way they are now, i can't afford it. what a shame."
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm sure there are a few forum members who'd club together to buy you a one-way ticket to Melbourne Lambchops!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Melbourne? I thought Lambchops was Welsh......
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i want names.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

You do have a point Lambchops (on the price thing, not on the incontinent thing!).... but unfortunately sometimes there are events that you actually want/really need to be at.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

like a test series where we get beaten.....

talking of more air traffic...has there been anymore UFO sightings?
floom

Post by floom »

And after complaining about aircraft noise, the stupid public puts up with wanker wagon after wanker wagon driving past their doors with stereo blaring and bass pounding....
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

not much you can do about that, but there might be something you can do about air traffic?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

lambchops wrote:not much you can do about that, but there might be something you can do about air traffic?
I find shaking my fist and swearing loudly at passing aircraft helps.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I find shaking my fist and swearing loudly at passing aircraft helps.
At the very least, they're much less likely to do you any harm if they catch you at it.
floom

Post by floom »

lambchops: why can't you do anything about wanker wagons? If you can act against aeroplane noise, why can't you act equally against CAR noise?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree very much that I hate the cars with incredible loud noise which you can hear at least 1/4 mile away. They seem to drive as slow as possible to give you the full benefit of their excuse for music.

I did mail our MP about this after asking the MET why they never took any action . Met said they do speak to drivers if they come across them . I have never seen this and would think they want more than a speaking to.

No reply from Mr Dowd which I will remember at the time of the next election.

If there is no law about this ignorant selfish behaviou then there ought to be very quickly
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

floom wrote:lambchops: why can't you do anything about wanker wagons? If you can act against aeroplane noise, why can't you act equally against CAR noise?
i just think that you're more likely to get a response and action from a company than individuals.
floom

Post by floom »

Eagle: Well, it's reassuring to know that there's at least one person left with an ounce of sanity.