Don't Forget To Thank Your Brave Postman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Eagle

Don't Forget To Thank Your Brave Postman

Post by The Eagle »

If you see your postman today please don't forget to thank him for putting himself out and delivering your mail. We have not had any mail this week, according to the sorting office manager it is not the fault of Royal Mail but the fault of Lewisham Council and suggested I contact them. Apparently the manager claims it is far too dangerous for the Postmen to walk on the ungritted pavements and also very dangerous to attempt to drive around any of the ungritted side streets. He also claims that lots of the postmen have told him that although Lewisham Council are going round with gritting vehicles apparently there is no grit in them.

The manager also said on the Industrial Estate where they are based, nothing has been griited outside so they are not prepared to leave the sorting office.

However he did say that today (Thursday) 'some' post 'might' be delivered!

Glad these postmen were not around at Dunkirk!

I wonder if they were stopped a days pay, would they then be brave enough to venture outside?

Strange how CityLink, paper boys and girls, Pizza Deliveries (including Pizza flyers) can deliver and also school children can walk to school .........but Royal Mail comes to a halt.

Regretably I have to say as soon as we get a choice and TRUE competiton is in operation I will not be using Royal Mail. From top to bottom they are the most incompetent organisation I have ever dealt with.
Last edited by The Eagle on 5 Feb 2009 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

Something to be said for the US Postal creed:

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

No mail and death traps for train platforms..
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Any sighting of our Brave Little Post Boys yet?

Maybe if they do venture out (no doubt after it stops raining) we should nominate them for one of The Pride of Britain Awards - Outstanding Bravery

You can nominate them here:-
http://www.prideofbritain.com/contentPa ... ation.aspx
Last edited by The Eagle on 5 Feb 2009 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I too am full of praise for our post people eho have a diffocult job even in the best of times.
So Lewisham Council are impeding Her Majesty's Mail. Could be an interesting court case.
Pavements seem to being ignored , prioriry given to drivers.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Eagle wrote:Pavements seem to being ignored , prioriry given to drivers.
Really? Thats how come the entire London Bus network had to be withdrawn for the first time in living memory!

Face it, Lewisham Council did not grit f all until it was too late.
Barty

Re: Don't Forget To Thank Your Brave Postman

Post by Barty »

The Eagle wrote:... according to the sorting office manager it is not the fault of Royal Mail but the fault of Lewisham Council...
This will be the same sorting office manager who was told at the beginning of last month by Royal Mail Customer Services in Glasgow to contact me to arrange collection of a pile of some 30 items of misdelivered items of mail, and who I am still waiting to hear from.

Perhaps he is still stuck in his office after January's comparatively minor snowfalls.

Perhaps he lives there.

How on earth does he find the courage to venture out of the industrial estate and go shopping?

The poor man must be starving? Thank your brave postman? Nono, lets contact the Disaster Emergency Committee and arrange an appeal to get the sorting office manager some much needed food aid.
Lewisham Council

Post by Lewisham Council »

Barty wrote:
Face it, Lewisham Council did not grit f all until it was too late.
Obviously I can not comment on the postmen but I do know that the council have been out gritting since last Friday night.

They have been continually re-gritting all primary and secondary roads which includes all bus routes. In particular they have focussed on ensuring clear and safe access to hospital and medical services, transport hubs and schools.

Helen
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Royal Mail will use any excuse!!!!

They will let the mail stack up and then a manager will then decide to pay them overtime or a bonus to clear the backlog................. then to rub salt into the wounds they will increase the cost of postage (above inflation) to make up for their total incompetence. No other organisation would be allowed to get away with it.; increase their charges and give you a worse service; because thats what that did not so long ago. They increased the cost of stamps and cut your delivery down from two a day to one a day usually now in the afternoon!
Last edited by The Eagle on 5 Feb 2009 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

And what about the pavements? It doesn't help the postmen when even the busy walking routes are still dangerous.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Give them suitable footwear!
In the summer they soon change to shorts and trainers!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I was actually more responding to Helen's post... if Lewisham have been doing all this work then why are the pavements still so dangerous?
Lewisham Council

Post by Lewisham Council »

Primary and secondary roads and pavements were given priority. The Council are working to grit other areas now.
Barty

Post by Barty »

It took me almost two hours to do a drive that normally takes 20 minutes home from Croydon on Sunday night.

Admittedly a big chunk of that journey was through Croydon borough and not Lewisham, but I did not see any evidence of grit or gritters within Lewisham either, and I travelled my whole journey along bus routes, thinking that they would have been gritted first. Alas not. It was stranded buses that caused the majority of the traffic jams that i struggled through.

I believe that much of the rail disruption for which I, as a railway employee am getting a battering for on this forum and elsewhere, could have been nipped in the bud if track workers were able to drive along roads which, I'm sorry, were clearly NOT adequately gritted on Sunday night, to fix points failures which were delevloping as the snow fell, then Monday's rail service on Southern would have been much better.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

After gritting and clearing my walkway my brave little soldier (The Postman ) turned up and delivered 4 days mail. When he left instead of taking the safe route out ( down the path that I gritted and cleared) he decided to take the short cut across a very icy garden path ............

I think that says it all about them!
Barty

Post by Barty »

There's been no post to our building all week....

It's probably gone to the same numbered building on a different road entirely, or into a random letterbox up the road where the path to it has been cleared of ice......
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

If wittering on about what the postman did or did not do on your garden path, or worrying about a non or late delivery of mail is all some of you have to worry about then you need to get a life.
Then again you could walk to the sorting office and ask for it perhaps.
Really its not that bad and nowhere near the end of the world.
Its a bit of snow and ice,
Theres are all sorts of people out there doing all sorts of work in the cold dark and dangerous conditions past the end of your path.
all the power services, fuel delivery drivers, food deliveries, emergency services, Car breakdown and recovery services, airport workers,rail maintence crews, most black cab drivers, to name a few.

And a few office workers get their knickers in a twist cos they slip.
give me strength

and to follow on some of Bartys comments, its not the man on the ground thats let you down, its the short sighted incompetant office bound MANAGEMENT
Barty

Post by Barty »

Thanks catscratch :D

Y'know, it's not even the management sometimes.

Our manager has regularly emerged from behind her desk this week to work with her staff getting information out to passengers.

Sometimes it's the system that we all have to work within that's an a$$.
thevoxx

Post by thevoxx »

Does anybody know when the post service is likely to start up again? I can't get through to anybody at royal mail...
stuart

Post by stuart »

We had mail yesterday and today.

Stuart
thevoxx

Post by thevoxx »

Very strange, I've been expecting 2 parcels and 2 letters that were posted on monday from my family. There wasn't a red slip waiting for me today either. Maybe they've forgotten us! :s
I live on sydenham road, is anyone else experiencing any problems with post??