screams at night?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
aliceinwonderland

screams at night?

Post by aliceinwonderland »

I've just moved to Sydenham a few months ago. About a month ago, and again last night, I was awoken by a woman's screams outside, around 2 am. Sounded like a really scared woman in danger, I didn't know if I should call the cops or what, the screams only went on for one or two minutes. There was nothing in the news about any crimes in the area after that...but I'm just wondering has anyone else noticed this and what the heck is going on?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Are you sure it wasn't foxes?
DanW

Post by DanW »

Are you sure it isn't foxes? There are quite a few in Sydenham and they can make some horrific sounding noises.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Sounds like foxs to me.
There cry often sounds like someone is screaming or crying out in distress.
Maybe have a look out your window to see if you can see something.

We had this last summer a baby fox had got split up from its mum and got stuck between our fence and next door shed it really makes you jump when you here it as it does sound like someone is in distress and we seem to get a lot of foxs in sydenham as well.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Defo sounds like foxes. We've some that live behind our garage at the back of the house and it DOES sound like a woman screaming.

Sometimes, we have to lean out of the window and shout at them or throw something to scare them off as it wakes our kids up!!
Barty

Post by Barty »

I'll add my voice to the fox explanation! We had them near where I used to live in Forest Hill, terrible racket, especially in the breeding season!!!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Jessie wrote:We had this last summer a baby fox had got split up from its mum and got stuck between our fence and next door shed it really makes you jump when you here it as it does sound like someone is in distress and we seem to get a lot of foxs in sydenham as well.
a baby fox as a pet would be cute!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Barty wrote:I'll add my voice to the fox explanation! We had them near where I used to live in Forest Hill, terrible racket, especially in the breeding season!!!
Aye, when I first moved to London it scared me ****less when I first heard the foxes in mating season. They really do sound like kids/women screaming.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Funny thing is, I came across more wildlife when I moved back to urban London than I ever saw when I was living in rural Yorkshire, or suburban west London before that!
davegr

Post by davegr »

Has anyone considered that it might be foxes? :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

Y'know what, I think you're on to something there :lol: :lol:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

OK, I must apologise.

I am sorry for the late night screams.

I will try and be easier on everyone's mum from now on...but she loves it so!
aliceinwonderland

Post by aliceinwonderland »

Damn, is it really foxes? It really does sound like a woman screaming doesn't it, spooky stuff!
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

First time I heard them, I was really alarmed! But they do make a horrific noise, you get used to it eventually though - you can't sleep through it however, it'll wake you every time!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Alice,

I'm afraid you have really moved into wild country. We get upto 4 foxes at a time in our garden having midnight discussions at high volume. squarky parakeets, magpies, squirrels. Its wonderful compared to my mum's place deep in the country which is almost extinct of wildlife.

I think it is the unique combination of parks (particulary CP), interconnecting railway lines, an abundance of waste food and few predators.

If I had not supported the anti-hunting bill I might now be running for the Mastership of the Sydenham Hunt with our packs of terrorist trained staffs!

Stuart
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

That's not nice!!! :( :(
dickp

Post by dickp »

Anyone who has a problem with foxes can pick up a sonic alarm for around £25. They work automatically, and give out a very loud (but ultrasonic) squark.

I've used it on my own mutt to cut out his midnight barking. He hates it, but it works like a dream.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Anyone who has a problem with foxes can pick up a sonic alarm for around £25. They work automatically, and give out a very loud (but ultrasonic) squark
They seem to work, I bought one a few months ago and haven't seen a fox since (they used to congregate in my garden). The downside is that a cat seems to have now moved in :roll:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

dickp wrote:Anyone who has a problem with foxes can pick up a sonic alarm for around £25. They work automatically, and give out a very loud (but ultrasonic) squark.

I've used it on my own mutt to cut out his midnight barking. He hates it, but it works like a dream.
That's interesting, dickp. I would have thought that a dog would just bark back at it though..?

Can you let me know if the alarm automatically goes off if it senses movement or when it 'hears' a bark/scream?
dickp

Post by dickp »

It responds to sound, not movement.

My dog has actually learned to woof very quietly, so it doesn't set the device off - or wake me up. It's quite funny to listen to.