new bar in kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
John_Hugill

new bar in kirkdale

Post by John_Hugill »

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone knew about the licensing meeting on Thursday to do with a new bar at 307 Kirkdale opening called Zanzibar, formerly the Glamour Lounge?

John
Lewisham Mercury
020 8710 6457
multisync

Post by multisync »

No didn't know about that,but does anyone know whats opening in Kirkdale,next to Perfucare
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Never hear of Glamour Lounge let alone Zanzibar ( except the province of Zanzibar , that when formerly a British colony was exchange in 1890 for Heligoland ) we got in back in 1919 officially.

What are the drinks they have in Zanzibar. Seem to recall famous for spices not cheap lager that seems to go down well in Kirkdale
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Eagle > It's by the petrol station (kinda recessed so you don't really see it easily). Kinda in the back of the building where the LA Fittness Gym is
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

And famously known for many years as 'Twilights'.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

mysti77 wrote:Eagle > It's by the petrol station (kinda recessed so you don't really see it easily). Kinda in the back of the building where the LA Fittness Gym is
Do you know if it backs onto Spring Hill? I noticed when walking back from the station the other day that several large doors/windows were newly boarded and thought that it'd be a great location for a bar.

I think the current entrance recessed from Kirkdale means it has always looked a bit seedy...
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Gaz wrote:
mysti77 wrote:Eagle > It's by the petrol station (kinda recessed so you don't really see it easily). Kinda in the back of the building where the LA Fittness Gym is
Do you know if it backs onto Spring Hill? I noticed when walking back from the station the other day that several large doors/windows were newly boarded and thought that it'd be a great location for a bar.

I think the current entrance recessed from Kirkdale means it has always looked a bit seedy...
It didn't used to look seedy, indeed, it used to be the place to go if you wanted a nightclub on your doorstep and you lived in or near Sydenham.

Twilights was an 'all inclusive' venue, where you handed over your pound notes (can't remember now if it was 10 or 15 quid) and got a DJ all night, a running buffet and as much as you could drink (not including cocktails).

Lager was served in litre jugs, the food was good quality 'Harvester' type fayre (prawn cocktails, carvery, cheesecake, that kind of thing) and the music was up to date.

I spent many a good night out in Twilights, usually for a birthday party, which they catered for very well; they usually included a birthday cake, the music stopped and everyone sang that famous song.

That probably sounds really naff, but I don't know where I would go now for that kind of night out.

Maybe the new owners will consider stepping back in time and offering the sort of party night that that establishment offered then, and maybe it will work.
Robin Orton

Shop next to Perfucare

Post by Robin Orton »

multisync wrote:No didn't know about that,but does anyone know whats opening in Kirkdale,next to Perfucare
According to Ram - and I think he was being serious - it's going to be a '[?takeaway] chicken shop'. I'll ask Mr Patel at Perfucare the next time I go in.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Twilights was a brilliant night out for a big group - I think it was a tenner a head.

I remember being in there and asking for a 'quadruple' Jim Beam, but the barmaid said they could only give doubles.

I just ordered two doubles, poured them into a single glass, and left the bar.

It really would make a very good venue for a new bar - something like The Gibson in Washington DC, playing nothing but The Thievery Corporation all night. Absolute heaven.

I know its about as likely as rocking horse pooh, but its nice to dream.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

apparently in its last incarnation - before being closed [shut?] down it was a right dump with the police in regular attendance to break up the fights...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I remember going there in 87 for a company do and one of my colleagues got a broken glass in the face. The guy was jailed but for not long enough.
Any place that has quadruple and doubles as a norm should be discouraged.
I drink real ale for the taste not to get blind drunk.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Eagle wrote:I drink real ale for the taste not to get blind drunk.
I think I found something we agree on Eagle :D
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Eagle, read my post - they didnt sell quadruples.

ALL pubs sell doubles. If you drink spirits in a pub, there's little point having a single measure.

I just couldnt be bothered returning to the bar, so I got a large large.

Rumour was all the drinks were watered down anyway, and the beer was vile.

We had a few good nights in there, and never saw any trouble.

I drink real ale too, and I avoid getting drunk these days - its not a pretty sight seeing anyone who's had too much, but its even worse when its a middle aged person.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

fishcox wrote:
It really would make a very good venue for a new bar - something like The Gibson in Washington DC, playing nothing but The Thievery Corporation all night. Absolute heaven.

I know its about as likely as rocking horse pooh, but its nice to dream.
Have to say that would probably be lovely. Or at least a bar with a good music policy to bring a bit of soul to Sydenham. I know the chap who owns sugahill once told me he has a great funk collection so the world is our oyster....
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Sydenham Soul - I like it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

G Man
Apologies if I did not read correctly
I agree drinking to excess in any age is an absolute disgrace.

Young women totally plastered in my mind are the worst. It makes one sometimes appreciate where the muslims are coming from. Drinking 3 to 4 pints of real ale should make one merry in a conversation and that is great. Drinking to lose all use of your facilities is not , in my humble opinion.

I wait for a torrent of abuse.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Eagle - I would imagine that most people in the forum would agree with you, unless any of the guys who used to sit outside the Post Office are contributors.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

I think the shop next to perfucare is applying for licensing for a 24 hour taxi office.
There's an application on Lewisham planning website.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

RE the taxi application next to the Fox & Hounds. This isn't a taxi-office where you can call in for a taxi, but an operations room where they track the taxis etc using the internet. From the application, it seems that this office won't have any public access, nor any taxis waiting outside!
parker

Post by parker »

To this day i find it amazing that within the back of that regency building theres a reasonably sized night club ''Glamour Lounge'', a Snooker Hall and an LA Fitness Fitness Centre (with a swimming pool) and then a large wedding dress shop taking up a lot of the retail space. The night club and Snooker Hall must be tiny, maybe what was once a nightclub is now a good size for a bar. Zanzibar!
bensonby wrote:apparently in its last incarnation - before being closed [shut?] down it was a right dump with the police in regular attendance to break up the fights...
*sounds a bit like the Greyhound just before that closed

The entrance to ''Glamour Lounge'' has always looked seedy, remember when it used to have part of it called ''Owl's Barn'' think it was called Chasers at some point too and had to close because of a shooting hence it reopening and changing its name.

The club was featured on a programme called Life Begins!

I hope its put to good use after all these years. Does anyone know if its application for a license was deemed successful??