Traffic Wardens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Traffic Wardens

Post by ALIB »

This has probably been done to death before, but I shall recount the events i saw this morning.
A man dressed in black on a silver scooter exited Willow way onto Dartmouth Road at approximately 9.30am today and went into Cheseman Street. I would have paid no notice, but he cut across a moving line of traffic (causing a car to brake hard to avoid a colision).
Not 30 seconds later I saw him ride out Cheseman Street having affixed a penalty notice to a vehicle parked close to the junction, having parked on a double yellow line himself. It is obvious to me that he wrote the ticket round the corner and then did a 'rapid fly-by' to fix the notice to the windscreen. I am not disputing the car was illegally parked, just commenting that the methodology of ticketing was dubious at best, and illegal at worst.

I also notice that wardens target the Sainsburys car park in Forest Hill for people who have overstayed their ticket by 5 minutes. And they are rigourous in their enforcement

How is this helping traffic congestion? The lack of wardens during the morning school run indicates to me that this is all about revenue collection and nothing to do with traffic management.

Comments?
Last edited by ALIB on 2 Jul 2009 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Just an observation - there are three types of "traffic warden" and they are very different beasts....

There are "traffic wardens" who are employed by the police (yellow checked banding around their caps) to 'police' (for want of a better word) red routes.

There are local authority "parking attendants" whose remit is yellow lines &c.

And there are private contractors who "regulate" parking on private premesis.... (eg. the sainsbury's carpark).

It's important not to mix them all up as they have different raisons d'etre, different powers and those who employ them for different reasons.

Also - why is parking something that people get so hot under the collar about? I never understood the passion that some people feel when arguing about their rights to (or not to) park their motor...
noangel

Post by noangel »

The Forest Hill Sainsbury's Car Park Traffic Wardens have been heavily discussed/debated on se23.com .

The consensus is that they are not employed by Sainsbury's so no use complaining to them. Though I have noted myself that they like to hang out in groups (during their break?) under the bus shelter outside Sainsbury's and shout abuse at motorists. Lovely.

Can't comment on the other type of traffic wardens. Not a motorist.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'd imagine you're correct noangel....they'll be private contractors...
noangel

Post by noangel »

Noooo I wasn't saying they weren't private contractors. I was just saying that the SE23.com have done that topic to death and have tried complaining to Sainsbury's about it .... it's a very funny thread.

No matter who employs them they scare me ... they give off bad vibes. So much so I cross the road when they are congregating under the bus shelter :lol:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Parking in Forest Hill is rubbish and I have been ticketed there (unfairly I thought).

Result: I hardly ever shop in Forest Hill.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

So my question is now.....

Yes Lewisham (or the private contractors) gain revenue, but ultimately it would seem that the residents, and more importantly, the traders, lose out.
(And i'm talking about sydenham, not Forest hill)

Traffic Wardens/parking enforcement people. A cost toSydenham or a benefit?

Myself, I think they are a big hinderance to the potential enhancement of Sydenham, by way of the observations I stated earlier.

(and yes, there are plenty of morons who seems to park in an indescriminate manner, but enforcement should be better targetted)
marianne

Post by marianne »

ALIB - Parking warden didn't need to rush into Cheseman Street to put ticket on the car on the double yellow lines - it's still there 24 hours later! :?