Selfish Parkers in Tannsfeld Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

a good post TM. Unfortunatley the politics of the UK (I seem to be unable to say Great Britain) seem to be inhibitive to any sort of continuity and is unable to put forward coherent/integrated ideas.

There is a huge gulf between local and national politics and the population are always the victims.

cheers

**opens bottle of pino griggio** (aghhh, another foreign import)
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Quite right, Alib.

Continuity...?... Joined-up thinking...? We may as well be speaking Ancient Egyptian.

But if it doesn't happen, the science insists that our descendants will live in a totally 'local' world' ...a new dark age.

This is not naive scare-mongering or nutter-ranting.
musicgirl

Post by musicgirl »

Scary old greyhound lady caught me and my partner getting into our car which was parked outside her house yesterday - thing is, we live opposite and if we can't park near my house, occasionally end up outside hers. Obviously if I can park outside my house I'm going to do that. She first asked if we could tell her who owned the car we were sitting in so we had to admit it was ours though were tempted to pretend to be car thieves.
She wouldn't take her hands out of the window and harangued us for five minutes -however, she didn't listen to a word we said and demanded to know where we lived! I mentioned that I had been her close neighbour for 7 years and if she spent that much time staring out the window at parked cars, she probably would have seen me...
My neighbour two doors down, with two small kids in the car, was also waiting with engine running, to take my space the minute I left! Poor lady - I do sympathise but like you say - build a hedge and stop badgering your neighbours.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

you should have firmly but politely told her to go away.

I am really tempted to get my girlfriend to go and park there to see this person in action.... I'm amused and baffled.
lbere

Post by lbere »

That could be arranged bensonby.

(not that Im his girlfriend!)
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Oh do leave the poor old girl alone.

Consider, in your mind, her life's purpose ...Her calling, if you will. That is , to harass and harangue perceived miscreants with cries and admonishments.

Consider her long days standing [or sitting] sentinel, in patient expectation.

...Or come to think of...Perhaps a challenge is what she looks forward to!!

Go for it !!!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I must admit I too am torn over this matter Trawlerman. We don't want to bully but that is exactly what this character is doing with impunity.

Firstly though I think some are getting confused. Eagle's acquaintances are on Tannsfield Road and yet some are talking about another woman [let's not use the term lady here] who does the same near to the NatWest, which is Queensthorpe Road.

musicgirl: Can I ask if it was the person who is problematic on Queensthorpe? Or the usual suspects on Tannsfield?

Anyway, these people need to be told to eff off. Crass and vulgar as a stand-point I know but if this person were over 6ft, male and heavy-set I think we'd all see it for the aggressive behaviour that it is.

I don't think we should afford any latitude over any percieved senility either. This woman sounds as if she is in control of her faculties and as such is just an angry old crow.

The behaviour is not only un-reasonable but anti-social. bensonby: any chance of an ASBO here? If this person does go to the Local Authority and tries to get the pavement lowered I will oppose the application with all that I can muster.

I'd hate to have these clowns as my neighbours, immediate or otherwise. Someone needs to tell them they have no right to object to people parking on property that is not theirs! Their propery begins and ends at the boundary line, the rest is the Local Authorities or other peoples!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Be careful we think too much of our rights and not of others.

It is not unreasonable to want to park as near your destination as possible. If that is not in front of your home then a neighbours' is surely OK. But you are in turn inconvenience them a little because they can't park there or have to carry people, baggage etc a longer distance.

So in a live & let live society you have a responsibility to move your vehicle to remove that inconvenience when reasonably possible. It is people who 'garage' their vehicle inconveniencing others without consideration that are the real bane.

Road space is a community resource. To be shared by all but not to be hogged by any?

Stuart
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i think i can understand both the motorists and the womans point of view. Though she doesn't have a car, she may have regular visitors who arrive by such a mode of transport.
That said, it is not her road. It is unfortunate that she seems to live in the vicinity of shops where people might park up for several minutes at a time. Also the space outside her house may be used by neighbours if there are no other available spaces.
It is obvious parking is an issue in that road, but that's modern life. She's elderly and never going to change her ways. I guess if you experience her interrogation, try to ignore her and get on wth your business. She obviously has nothing better to do.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

stuart wrote:
Road space is a community resource. To be shared by all but not to be hogged by any?
Hear, Hear

I do think the only workable solution is for this person/persons to grow their front hedge, or to plant one. That way they will not have to see people going about their perfectly legal and acceptable business. Alternatively they could spray the bottom half of their windows with that 'frosting'. This would block out the offending view without sacrificing light.

I do fear that one day they will come unstuck. Fair to say some of the people who park and use Sydenham Road will not always be as tolerant to this anti-social and aggressive behaviour as musicgirl was...
maestro

Post by maestro »

Easiest solution to this, surely, is have Paul Treacy go round to her house and take a photo of the window from inside, when there's no car there. Then have the photo blown up so that it is exactly the same size as the actual window, then glue the photo onto the inside. It could be done on a nice sunny day, so that whatever the weather is, and regardless of if it is night or day, she'll always have a pleasant, sunny view to look at, and never ever a car there, so everyone wins!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why do we not restrict parking rights on the kerb to those who pay the council tax. Freeloaders can go by bus.
I wonder how we got to the situation that anyone can park on the road outside a home.
Do all countries have the same theory. What do they do in the DRC or Myanamar for instance? I have no idea.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Talk about lateral thinking!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes was really a joke but when the motor car first appeared on our road was it just assumed you could park anywhere.
If you left your horse and cart outside someone's house would that have ben allowed.
Did Boudica worry about parking restrictions when she visited London with her chariot. Not to many of thise in Tannsfeld.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I did wonder if you were joking Eagle in your previous post. Good to see you were...I think.

Anyway, not sure how your suggestions will aid your friends. I walked down Tannsfield a day or so back and found it to be full of well-maintained and comfortable homes. Very fine. No home stuck out as being neccesarily lived in by 'freeloaders'. I thought it another lovely street, one of the many off Sydenham Road. So there'd be the same amount of cars on Tannsfield as now.

Anyway, there may be yet hope at hand. I read an article recently about the next generation of cars. Whilst I fear we will be lumbered with cars for ever more the next breed will run on a plentiful and free resource - Hydrogen. The only thing they produce is...water! And they're silent.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ulysses wrote:
Anyway, there may be yet hope at hand. I read an article recently about the next generation of cars. Whilst I fear we will be lumbered with cars for ever more the next breed will run on a plentiful and free resource - Hydrogen. The only thing they produce is...water! And they're silent.
A long, long way off I'm afraid Ulysses. One or two manufacturers have experimental vehicles (Honda with their 'FCX Clarity' for example), but there's big concerns about how to store the stuff safely (it's quite volatile, has to be kept under colossal pressure, and that includes whilst it is in the cars fuel tank!). Massive investment would be needed in the infrastructure to make it available nationwide to motorists.

The best option currently available IMO, is what I currently drive. It's silent much of the time below 30mph, returns 55-65 mpg, no congestion charge, £15 road tax, five seats, has automatic and cruise control, a great car either in city traffic or for doing long distances (I've just covered 2100 miles in the last two weeks having driven to Sutherland and back). Any ideas what it is?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Oh, I agree maestro. The article was regarding the FCX Clarity but I do not feel the new breed will be with us for some time. We need only think of Zeppelins [themselves making something of a comeback] to know the volatility of compressed hydrogen. But surely the preferrable by-products are worth the painful wait?

As for the guess, I don't drive so wouldn't know my Ferrari from my MX2.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ulysses wrote:Oh, I agree maestro. The article was regarding the FCX Clarity but I do not feel the new breed will be with us for some time. We need only think of Zeppelins [themselves making something of a comeback] to know the volatility of compressed hydrogen. But surely the preferrable by-products are worth the painful wait?

As for the guess, I don't drive so wouldn't know my Ferrari from my MX2.
Hydrogen powered cars for the masses are probably 20-25 years away I fear. In the meantime, manufacturers are working hard to produce more efficient petrol and diesel cars, especially hybrids (I have a Toyota Prius petrol/electric), and electric powered cars too. Many of the latter are already available, although with limited range, but again more efficient batteries are being developed to make these cars more practical for everyday use.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

You know maestro, I was about to suggest a Lexus Hybrid or a Prius.

They would not like you on Top Gear? God knows why I watch it given I cannot drive but I do. They see Prius drivers as A-List Hollywood simpletons or worse! Please be aware, these are not my own views but those of Jezza et al. Whatever they may be worth.

However, reading your clearly impressive stats [of the car of course], I see nothing that should be anything other than commended in the Prius.

How long before we see the Johnny Cabs of the film Total Recall? Again, Hollywood trash but given environmental issues and brain-impulse mapping it may have been less 'pop-corn' than we think...

Trips to Mars, cerebral implants, self-guiding cars.

I keep on bringing myself back to the inevitable 'Metropolis' scenario...the 1927 version, that is.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I am well aware Ulysses, of Clarkson's caustic comments about the Prius and the people who own them. I'm on the Prius owners forum and none of us take him or the programme he presents terribly seriously, he spouts utter nonsense about many things, which he has often been in trouble for. Top Gear is made for entertainment, it rarely even tests the cars most of us drive, and bears little factual reality to everyday motoring. The model I drive was replaced a couple of months ago by a new one capable of over 70mpg. Whilst the Prius is not the solution to everything, they're certainly a step in the right direction. But you're far more likely to see Clarkson burning round an airfield in the latest Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera (and as a consequence, between him and the 'Stig', emitting more co2 during the filming process than I will in a whole year), than testing anything as mundane as a Prius!