Funeral for the last through trains to Charing X

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Funeral for the last through trains to Charing X

Post by Pat Trembath »

Tomorrow we bid a sad farewell to the through trains to Charing Cross.

A funeral procession, complete with coffin, will assemble on Platform 1, at 1 pm, at Sydenham Station and will take the 13.09 train (back coach) to Charing Cross to mark our tragic loss.

Everyone affected by the unfortunate occurrence will be welcome to come to the funeral, suitably dressed of course.

Funeral directors: the Sydenham and Forest Hill Societies
Last edited by Pat Trembath on 11 Dec 2009 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

How are you going to get back ?!!!??!!!!! :wink:
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

This will be good lol. I'll love to see Southern's and random peoples faces who have no idea whats going on.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

HA HA!!

Very good Pat. good to see that the societies still foster a sense of humour. I promise I be there to show support if you then take the ashes of this friend soon to pass, to the next facedown with Southern. Tell them he died before his time. After many delays of course.

Then, lets all go and put sugar in the engines of all the diggers and accociated plant that invade our road space every other month.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I can't believe that has come around so quickly!

I use the evening services from Charing Cross regularly - the one small silver lining to working late in the office has always been the prospect of a direct train home.

Will be sorely missed. :(
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Goonerchamp - priceless! :P
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

A live update from the train!

It seems forest hill weren't quite ready... So the more efficient Sydenham lot got off... The honor oak lot were most bemused. Southern planning at it's best!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great success apart from a jobsworth at Forest Hill who tried to stop us taking photos. Met at Charing Cross by the BBC who were in turn ejected for filming. I think it made them more determined.

Find out at 5.20pm on BBC1 London News tonight. Photos here real soon but taking a late lunch first.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Barry & Co
En route from Forest Hill
Changing at London Bridge
Arriving at Charing Cross
Giving interview to the BBC (watch at 5.20pm tonight)
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Surely you'd have a more focused media response if you chucked the coffin on the rails themselves and stood by whilst horrified passengers watched as the 12:48 smashed it to pieces.

You could label that particular pastiche "Divided platforms" or something similar.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Already playing on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaA5OSj1Vo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And here is the tiny clip that appeared on BBC London News. Sorry about the screwy aspect ratio. Will try and fix that when I do the proper movie. Probably tomorrow.

http://blip.tv/file/2965644

Admin
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Fantastic protest althou' slightly mortifying. Good luck with the campaign it definatley carries some weight.

:D
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Is this a good thing to have done?

I can understand the irony/sarcasm/pisstake and that it was probably great fun, but isn't it potentially damaging to any further objections or actions or protests?

Honestly, when I saw this my immediate reaction was "what a bunch of dickheads". Even though I know several people who took part and I genuinly don't think that of them, I can imagine that that's what Southern or whoever would think.

It's like some students doing bad street performance outside the Houses of Parliament - no one takes them seriously.

Again, I stress, I don't think that you are a bunch of cocks and I appreciate the good things that everyone involved has done for the area.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Personally I think it was an inspired idea - some publicity for the cause and entertaining to boot - would love to have seen the look on people's faces when they saw people boarding the train with a coffin. 8)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well done to all concerned - I thought it was a great idea, and nice to see it on the London regional news.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have put up a movie of yesterday. I'm afraid its a bit rough (like me - man flu) but I hope it brings back memories.

http://www.sydenham.tv/cgi-bin/sydtv_ju ... uneral.flv

Admin
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!! - or get a life !!!

:shock:

its not as if you have to wait 20 mins for the connection at London bridge !!!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

'Twas fun and thanks, Admin, for rising from your sick bed. to record this solemn occasion.

However. this was only the first of several belated cuts that we KNOW about - others are still lurking in the shadows - what about the late delivery of the upgrade of the Jubilee line due 6 months late in the autumn of 2010 only made public a few days ago?

The upgrade to the Jubilee Line was supposed to help in the relief of the reduction of 30% of the evening peak services out of London Bridge in May 2010, but the upgrade wont be ready till 6 months after we lose our current number of peak hour trains.

The powers that be expect us, as an alternative, to transfer to the ELR and change at Canary Wharf for tube trains that cannot cope with the already heavy number of passengers using this line, let alone providing for the relief of pasengers to /from London Bridge trying to get into/ or home from the west end.

Election, anyone?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

goonerchamp wrote: its not as if you have to wait 20 mins for the connection at London bridge !!!
I suppose that depends how easy someone finds the schlep from platform 4 to platform 15, especially if loaded up or not able-bodied.

Also, we all know how packed the last trains from London Bridge can get, so it's not as if you will be able to jump on a ChX train at 0015 expecting to be able to actually get onto the LB 0026 train...