Check out the Sydenham Labour Party Campaign

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Check out the Sydenham Labour Party Campaign

Post by Chris Best »

We have launched the Labour Party Campaign this week and if you want to discuss any issues with me please post - to find out more about me and my work in Sydenham please visit my web site http://www.chrisbest.labour.co.uk.

We have been on the case with the Environment Team to clear the rubbish at the back of Somerfield - completed this week - and the ongoing problem of flytipping in the alleys leading off Sydenham Road. This is a real problem for local residents and has been ongoing for some time. We are also working with the police to focus the CCTV cameras in the high street to this part of Sydenham Road to see if we can get capture who the culprit is - I will keep you informed if we have any success on a prosecution.

Chris
Knighton

don't vote Labour

Post by Knighton »

None of the above is all I can say.

As a lifelong Labour supporter and former member of the Labour Party I feel only disgust and revulsion at the antics of the Labour Party Nationally, "assembly" and local level.

In Lewisham its Labour councillors ignore the electorate and have handed over funds to the mayor's office (fund relating to local issues) together with decision making concerning the spending of those funds. Hence rotten, ugly roads, traffic chaos and pointless obstructing bus lanes et al, No facilities to speak of, Property values tumbling relative to the rest of London because of the unkempt nature of the streets and street furniture. Only yards away the contrast can be seen on LB Bromley's manicured streets.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Knighton - There is simply no truth in two of your main points:

1. Money going from Lewisham to bodies like the Greater London Authority and Transport For London aren't just being spent on poorer areas to the detriment of this locality. Quite the opposite is happening. We have two imminent large investments from the GLA in this area - the East London Line Extension costing almost £900m and the Sydenham Gateway scheme designed to improve our high street which could net £1.75m. We are getting back infinitely more than we've put in.

2. House prices in this area are NOT going down relative to other areas of London. Where is your evidence? Prices of property in Sydenham and Forest Hill have risen sharply in the last 18 months since the announcement of the arrival of a new tube line and will continue to rise sharply as the line gets nearer to completion. You've only got to look at the applications for property improvements up and down Sydenham Road in the last few months (all of them yet to come to fruition) to see the evidence of rising demand to live in this area.

I've lived in this area for over 30 years and I hope to continue living here. Yes there's a lot that needs to be improved. But I'm proud of Sydenham and I'm not going to spend my time rubbishing it in a completely irrational manner which is what you seem to want to do.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

So where is the money for traffic calming or road improvements in Sydenham going? I have taken the trouble to find out. Lewisham pass the money to TFL and then have to apply to TFL for that same money to spend on projects. They cannot research new projects because they first have to obtain funding from TFL who refuse it. The money is spent where TFL dictate and not where local needs demand.

THe East London Line is not being provided for the benefit of Sydenham. It just happens to pass through here. Sydenham is already served by the line using mainline trains. It is unclear, at this stage, whether the new "service" will in any way enhance the service here. Will it mean the end of the services into London Bridge and Charing Cross? I suspect so. This means they will be replaced with a service going nowhere in particular. This is hardly an improvement.

The majority of the money is being spent North of the River. All that will be provided south of the river is connectivity. The fly-over at New Cross is about the only costly item.

Be proud of your location. Do not blinker yourself and delude yourself into believing everything is wonderful just because it passes through here.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

PS

Sydenham Road is being used as a trunk route. The Sydenham Gateway should be set against that function.... except I doubt very much whether the bridge over the railway is going to be widened and that is exactly what is necessary.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

"THe East London Line is not being provided for the benefit of Sydenham. It just happens to pass through here".

Knighton For Mayor! Is it too late to get his name on the ballot paper