Sydenham childcare options

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Andy Tough

Sydenham childcare options

Post by Andy Tough »

I'd be grateful for any suggestions people have on local childcare options. Our son is 7 months old and my wife is going back to work at the start of July - so we need to get a move on! We've done a fair bit of research about the local nurseries and the issue is that they all close at 6pm. The hours we both work mean that we can't always guarantee we'll have got back from central London before closing time.

Does anyone know of nurseries with longer opening hours, or other childcare options, such as childminders for a couple of hours a day either side of nursery, nanny sharing etc.

Many thanks
KM

Re: Sydenham childcare options

Post by KM »

Hi
You're right to start looking now! However you may find that most nurseries and childminders will finish at 6pm, with a start time of 8am; often parents are 'fined' after 6.05pm for lateness. With this in mind would you both consider some sort of flexible working? Or, being strict with yourself about leaving at 5pm on the dot? Most parents do one if not both of these I have found; I could not get flexible working and so chose the latter and after a while it kind of worked - you train yourself to be much more efficient at work. These would open up your childcare options greatly.
If this is not possible, then I suggest you look for a nanny. Some childminders may work later, but I've heard that nannies, who operate differently, are more likely do this. If you want to look into this, I don't know where you would start but the East Dulwich Forum regularly has nannies advertising under the Family Classified section - and parents asking for nannies.
If you want nursery options, please pm me and I can tell you more.
Good luck, it's quite a difficult process finding the right person as there are so few childcare places for so many children.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Quoting from the last writers:
- there are so few childcare places for so many children.
- the East Dulwich Forum regularly has nannies advertising under the Family Classified section
Could we not have one in this Forum as well? Administrator, is that not possible? I am looking after my daughter's baby 3 days per week and would love to exchange some ideas on childminding, where to go, activities available etc.

Many of my daughter's friends with small children are planning to move here - well it IS a fabulous area - and I think we need greater support circles for people like them and like me.

Many thanks!
KM

Re: Sydenham childcare options - Forum??

Post by KM »

Totally agree Maria! A forum on Family related issues or something? Or, why not make this site into a total forum website divided into clear categories; isn't that why we are using Sydenham Town?

Admin?

Maria - try this link for local activities;
http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... pt2010.pdf
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Hi Andy,
I think you'll find most of the nurseries in the Sydenham area will open at 8am and close by 6pm. I initially thought this would be difficult to work around but luckily my husband can drop off our son at 8am and then I leave work early to collect about 5.30pm, having started work at 8am. Any more than this would mean a very long day for the child. If you don't arrive home with your child until 6pm you only really have about an hour or so until they go to bed!
A friend of mine uses Rubadubs nursery in Forest Hill. They open at 7.30am and is very close to the station so easy to get into town after drop-off. However I know they have a very long waiting list (over one year, like many other nurseries around here).
I also received a leaflet through my door today advertising a new nursery to open in Forest Hill in March (01843 600444 Townsend Montessori Nurseries) and there was a recent post on this forum about a possible new nursery in Sydenham.
Good luck!
Sue