Forgive me, STF and refugees of Se23.com, but...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
CaptainCarCrash

Re: Forgive me, STF and refugees of Se23.com, but...

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

leenewham wrote:What's the 'Polly'?

Where does the word 'Grauniad' come from? Why can't people just use it's real name?

Why is it ok to generalize a so called 'higher class' but not the other way around?

Demonising any 'class' is wrong (I don't believe in class).
Generalizing any class is ignorant.
Making them a scapegoat for what's wrong with the world dangerous. It sounds a bit Poll Pot to me.

Back to you Mike (I'm enjoying this).
Is it not time we tried to have a sensible debate Lee?

Anyhoo,

The Grauniad was coined because of pedantry, from what I understand? the paper was littered with spelling mistakes at one point in its not too distant past.

Back on topic.

I agree Lee that the idea of existing within a classless society is a very appealing dream, but it's about keeping people in their place and keeping a strong hold on money and power, the so called establishment don't really need to stamp in the faces of the working class but they do, and will continue to do so.

Generalizing any class is ignorant but the so called chavs don't have the money and power like the other lot do, do they?
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

It was Private Eye that coined the name for reasons that have already been stated.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

If I'm not wrong, I think this thread was started by BBW, and it was about Big Issue sellers, so I will try to get it back on track.

Besides, there are so many threads on the Forum, which turn into arguments on the British Class system, and head nowhere fast. I should know, I've contributed to most ot them.

Anyhow, yesterday, prior to our family day out at Whitstable, I wandered down the high street with my 9 year old son, to get some victuals from the Co Op.

As we got close to the Newlands Park junction, my lad asked if we could cross over and walk down the other side - as he didnt want to walk near the drinkers, who scared him. I wasnt too bothered, so we crossed over near Smart Chaps, and carried on down.

There were only two drinkers there actually, although they had an early start, with a nice chilled Strongbow at 8-30.

Anyhow, that aside, we then walked past the Co Op, but on the opposite side of the road, where I could see the Big Issue vendor standing outside the main door.

I then saw an Audi A4 pull up around the corner (on Girton) and a bloke get out, walk up to the vendor, and say something.

She then followed him back to the car, where it looked like some sort of transaction took place, and then went back to her pitch. The car drove off.

It all looked a bit suspicious to me.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

fishcox

Post by fishcox »

ha ha ha (or lol as the youth say)

classic!