Ring O Roses

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
FayeM

Ring O Roses

Post by FayeM »

What does everybody think of the new Ring O Roses sign & Name- now known as Orange Blossom?
Annie

Re: Ring O Roses

Post by Annie »

Thought the Ring o Roses was a good name :) Orange Blossom ? sounds like a throw back from the 60s! :(
marymck

Post by marymck »

I've been away, so haven't seen the new shop front yet. I like the new name though. Ring O Roses always made me think of the plague (ugh).
steviepowers

Post by steviepowers »

Ring O Roses also sounds abit like 60s throw back to me too... :?
Last edited by steviepowers on 13 May 2011 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

steviepowers wrote:Ring O Roses also sounds abit like 60s throw back to me too... :?
May be the proprietor thought that the association with the plague was repelling customers and as they are a country and western music fan thought that Orange Blossom was a more suitable name because by renaming it Orange Blossom they have removed the association with death.

I could be totally wrong of course.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Not fussed either way about the name, though on balance I think the new one is probably better.

As for the sign, it's an improvement on the old one, but it's a bit disappointing, for three reasons. First because it's simply been stuck on top of the old one (which looks cheap), second because the design is not terribly sympathetic to the building, and third because the colours used make it difficult to read.

Not one of leenewham's designs, I suspect!
sophie

Post by sophie »

I am assuming that as Ring of Roses is a chain that it has been bought out by another group hence the name change
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Nope, not one of mine!

Don't mind the name, how it looks and how it acts has far more influence than what it's called. The plastic signs however break local planning rules for the conservation area.

They should have looked at the guidelines. In the grand scheme of things locally it's not so bad, but that's more of ao condemnation on how local shops look generally than a commendation on the sign.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I always thought the old Ring O Roses sign was the least appropriate typeface for a bridal shop - it looked like something they borrowed from a Sci Fi convention.

The new signage at least superficially improves on that, but I agree with Lee on everything else.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I absolutely hated that black sign and the dreadful Star-trek themed 80s disco signage...
I actually dont mind the orange on cream. It is an improvement on the silver. But just affixing onto the black paintwork (which I loathed when they did it) is dreadful. I really hope they are repainting the frontage cream. But I doubt it, sincerely. Now it looks utterly schizophrenic. As well as dreadful
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

And WHY OH WHY have they left the street number in silver?
Everytime I see it, I hate it more