LA Fitness

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
hazy

LA Fitness

Post by hazy »

Hi
I've used the Bridge Leisures Centre for years but a change in working hours means that I can now only get there in the evenings and weekends when it tends to get busy. I used to have the pool pretty much to myself at picking-the-kids-up-from-school-time on a weekday - so maybe became a little spoiled.
So - I'm now looking for a local gym with pool and am considering LA Fitness. Does anyone have any experience? I'm not bothered about classes, personal trainers and all that jazz - just gym, pool & not too crowded. Also not too expensive - trying to establish LA Fitness' fees is a little tricky - why the secrecy?
Also - where can I get up to date info on the Forest Hill Pool refurbishment which may make this post redundant?
Thanks
sydeman

Re: LA Fitness

Post by sydeman »

Hi. I have been a member of LA Fitness for a number of years and also tried the Crystal Palace sports centre as well. LA Fitness is ok. The gym is ok but the pool is only 17m long, and is crowded when 3 people are in it. But i like it as its convenient, and also its not packed (you just get to know when the busy periods are), and has a good mix of people (old as well as young, and not too many muscle builders to put us all to shame). I pay around £41 a month for a year subscription.

I believe Forest Hill opens about February/March next year, but not sure. That will have better facilities than LA Fitness i think, so will probably swap over then.
Willy

LA Fitness

Post by Willy »

I used to go to LA Fitness up until last year, was ok except the changing rooms were always pretty dirty and smelled of damp, and the pool is tiny. I only paid around £30 a month which is cheap compared to other places.
randomv

Re: LA Fitness

Post by randomv »

As a PP has said, the changing rooms aren't the greatest and in my experience they are a tad too pushy with trying to sell personal trainers, but so long as you are prepared to say you're not interested it's fine. I never used the changing rooms as I'd go there on my way home from work and use my own shower - it is VERY convenient! All in all I found it a very friendly gym and excepting the really peak times I never had a problem getting on machines. Swimming pool was fine first thing in the morning and during the day but it's crowded when more than 3 swimmers are in. I also paid around £30/month for a membership which allowed me to use any of their gyms (there was also one in the basement of the building I worked in). Don't take the offer they give you in person though, they will usually do a deal if they think you will take your business elsewhere!