HSBC, SYDENHAM CLOSURE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

HSBC, SYDENHAM CLOSURE

Post by lbere »

Hi, Just received a letter today from HSBC stating that our branch is being closed on the 24 11 2006. Iam outraged, as someone who lives and works in Sydenham, I use the branch all the time. Should this stay open?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Or a benefit?

My business banked there from 1993 until last year. In the 'Midland' days service was fantastic, the manager helpful etc. HSBC takeover was a disaster. Real wood was replaced by plastic wood and it became almost impossible to phone the branch. Worst of all statements became increasingly inaccurate.

Then early last year they hiked the bank charges and reduced the hours. This lengthened the queues so a 15 min run down the road to pay in the cheques became a 45 minute marathon. Paying more for 30 mins lost worktime didn't seem to be a good deal!

So we swopped to Co-op Internet Banking. Cheques now go in prepaid envelope (2 mins to/from postbox) I have real control over the account and lower charges (no charges for the first 18 months). A no-brainer.

Of course for traders paying in cash it is a disaster. They can't do that online and the already appalling queues at NatWest will probably lengthen.

Still - we do still have rather more Banks than Forest Hill!

PS Barclays are merging Woolwich branches into their network - so maybe the Sydenham branch may be elevated into a proper bank. Of course they might decide to close it instead. The Barclays people were totally uncommital when I enquired about that.

Stuart
Annie

Post by Annie »

:?
I don't actually use the HSBC, but i do hate it when banks etc shut down,look at the old Barclays bank at Cobbs it has been opened up as odd things since closure and always looks so tatty.
although i did quite like the pine shop that was there for a while.