Zebra Crossing on the Bridge by Sydenham Station

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
LonnyLon

Zebra Crossing on the Bridge by Sydenham Station

Post by LonnyLon »

I can't help thinking this has to be one of the worst designed Zebra Crossings.
Firstly the Belisha Beacons confused train drivers as they thought they were seeing an amber signal so they had to have angled covers to hide them from their view.
Secondly, the crossing is on the brow of a hill which means the headlights from oncoming cars are at the wrong angle so dazzle you as a driver making it difficult if it's dark and or wet to see if anyone is on the crossing.
Thirdly the whole point of the ZIg-Zags is that you have clear sight of pedestrians who may approach the crossing so you have plenty of time to stop and give way. Due to it being on the brow of a hill you don't have clear sight and often I find people just walking straight across as they come out of the station. So you're practically on top of the crossing when you first see them step out.

Anyone else had any thoughts on this?
mosy

Re: Zebra Crossing on the Bridge by Sydenham Station

Post by mosy »

Hi. Although potential dangers have been discussed and smouldering for some years, a recent thread (Sept 2011) might be worth a read: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=6732

I expressed views in that thread and have no more to add, except that it's getting dark very early in the afternoon now...
poppy

Post by poppy »

And the crossing (if you can call it that) at Newlands Park on the left hand side of Sydenham Road, if going up the hill, is another real danger.

I am staggered the council have been allowed to leave us with such an inadequate crossing point for so long.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I completely agree about the crossing at Newlands park. Those crossing the road can't see when the cars are turning and the amount of times cars have to suddenly stop or pedestrians end up running across to dodge cars is ridiculous. I would never cross over there as it is an accident waiting to happen.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I said this in the previous thread, and I'll say it here: Can anyone actually point to a higher than average number of accidents on either crossing point? Indeed, can anyone point to any at all in the past few years?

These crossings have been there for years and I can't think of a significant number off the top of my head - and I have quite a good working knowledge of Road Traffic Collisions (when and where they happen) across the London Borough of Lewisham.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Interesting point Bensonby. I have to admit i have often thought the crossing on the bridge was very badly positioned, but have always wondered if there has actually been an accident on the crossing to date, and maybe it was just me who was being over cautious? I think sometimes in this day and age of H&S, we think we can actually design out all problems, yet sometimes its useful to have danger zones to make us aware that they do exist in life. Normally on crossings i am abit blase i have to admit and cross even though cars seem to be speeding up to it, yet this one actually makes me stand and ensure the cars stop before crossing; and i dont think thats a bad thing to succumb to.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Someone mentioned the crossing on the main road near Newlands Park.

Much more serious is why there is NO crossing of Newlands Park itself. This is very dangerous especially for the elderly.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I thought the zebra was fairly recent, actually? I must admit that I avoid using it, having seen the way drivers approach it. There really needs to be a crossing of the High Street somewhere around Newlands Park, though: I was amazed when I crossed it yesterday to find that there was only a built-up island in the middle.
The The

Post by The The »

Almost been mown down twice there and also almost done the mowing there too! It is awful. I think there are a few previous links on this bemoaning the same issue.
LonnyLon

Post by LonnyLon »

A zebra crossing should have a clear line of sight on both sides in both directions the whole length of the Zig Zags. This is not the case as it's on a brow of a hill so you cannot see the full zone between the zig zags.
JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I drove through it tonight. The obvious flaw is that the crossing is placed at the apex of a hill so drivers' lights are dazzling each other. It's very difficult to see anything.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
poppy

Post by poppy »

Whenever we discuss this, people seem to miss the point (not all of you but some). The bit I was referring to is at the top of Newlands Park, at the junction with Sydenham Road.

Basically if you want to walk up the high street on the left hand side of the road and cross Newlands Park. It is not an unusual route to take - say you were going from the Co-Op to Kirkdale Bookshop.

Newlands Park is basically a main road, cars are queueing up to leave Newalands Park to turn on to Sydenham Road, or, to turn into Newlands Park from Sydenham Road, coming down the high street and coming up the high street, most of the day. Often cars are waiting at the junction in all three positions and there is no pedestrian phasing.

The cars however have traffic lights to let them know when it is safe to cross the junction.
mosy

Post by mosy »

poppy, that is the one rather less than fondly described as suicide corner. The traffic light timings also changed I reckon about a year ago to speed up the main road traffic, so if no or few cars want to turn out of Newlands Park, the main road lights go green again very quickly and, as you say, there's no "button to press".
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is a disgrace that there is no pedestrian crossing over Newlands Park. As far as cars concerned they pay little or no notice.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Eagle wrote:It is a disgrace that there is no pedestrian crossing over Newlands Park. As far as cars concerned they pay little or no notice.
That's certainly true. I walked out once ahead of a man pushing his wife in wheelchair thinking cars would stop (given I was putting hand up as a stop signal) so couple could cross safely as it's illegal deliberately to run people down. Just got driven at and beeped so had to give up as cars had no intention of stopping or slowing. A motorist did eventually give the couple time to cross - luckily they got all the way across and not just halfway which option many feel obliged to try to take assuming they'll have to run for the other half. All good stuff - er, not.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

poppy wrote:Whenever we discuss this, people seem to miss the point (not all of you but some). The bit I was referring to is at the top of Newlands Park, at the junction with Sydenham Road.
The junction with the bookmakers on the corner?

Yeah, this junction is horrible as well - no crossing for pedestrians at all, and cars can come from three directions, leaving people to rush across during the traffic light changing times. I've seen an old lady nearly get knocked over there. Maybe we should just guerrilla-paint a pedestrian crossing there overnight...

Generally, the pedestrian crossings in Sydenham are terrible and poorly placed. In my opinion this is why many people just walk across the road where-ever they feel like rather than use the crossings.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Here is the link to the plans for the improvements on the high street - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/reg ... treet.aspx - waiting on the legal agreements to start work.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Chris.
Hope the Newlands Pk Crossing is not held up due to the whole scheme being evaluated.
This is a seriously dangerous crossing
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So, according to the improvement plans the zebra crossing on the bridge will be removed, witha new crossing nearer the Greyhound, and new lights will provide an "all red" sequence for pedestrians to cross all ways at Newlands. So you can all quit complaining now.

Thanks for the link, Chris. A bit of commentary about how they related to this thread would have been helpful!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I was recently very nearly hit as a car skidded to a halt with my hands on the bonnet. Scary stuff. Needless to say I was furious. The car was going too fast and appeared, it seems, from nowhere. Luckily I was alone. There were people about and saw what happened and were aghast. The driver is lucky I'm a nimble mover. Had I been with my sons it might have been an altogether different situation.

The first time I had a scary incident on that crossing I was accompanied by my two lads and we were wearing hi-vis vests having been on our way home from school at twilight on a winter afternoon. On that occasion it was a driver using a phone but not going too fast. Just not paying attention. I roared and she stopped.

The sooner these road improvements are installed, the better. It's not cars I hate, (though I'm not too keen on the things) it's the numerous idiotic, arrogant and unthinking gobshites that drive them.

http://sydenhamshots.blogspot.com
http://paultreacy.com
http://photohumourist.com
http://ukstreetcollective.co.uk