Looking for a Carpenter/Handyman

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
WeatherGirl

Looking for a Carpenter/Handyman

Post by WeatherGirl »

Right people,

I need a Carpenter/someone handy with a piece of wood/ply, to build me a big cupboard in my hall to contain all the bags of crap I own that are threatening to take over my flat.
Please help, or I'm going to have to start piling up my books in the front garden.
ALIB

Re: Looking for a Carpenter/Handyman

Post by ALIB »

skilled carpenters don't come cheap. Espcially if your cupboard/unit is only going to be made of plywood

My guess is an enthusiastic/experienced amateur, else you could try Ikea, who do loads of different sized storage units 'off the shelf'
randomv

Post by randomv »

I have used Anthony Stanton in the past (see link) and would highly recommend him. He did some customised shelves and radiator covers for us. Cost-wise, our shelves did cost more than if we'd gone to Ikea, for example, but not as much as if we'd bought a unit somewhere upmarket and had the added benefit of being able to fit our space exactly (in our case that meant going all the way up to 11ft ceiling which Ikea etc don't usually do, and being able to have bespoke aspects such as holes for cables added in. Give him a call, you may be surprised by how affordable it is.

http://beckenham.inuklocal.co.uk/Trades ... y-93-15608

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
WeatherGirl

Post by WeatherGirl »

Thanks chaps.

A gifted amateur would be more than welcome in my house but I cannae find one.
I've been to Ikea, I want something that stretches to the ceiling and fills a complete space in my hall, which sadly Ikea can't offer.

I'll get in touch with Anthony and start counting my pennies..

Thanks again
Tinksqueak

Post by Tinksqueak »

Hello - just wondering if you had any luck with this... I'm looking for a carpenter / handyman to hang some doors for me. Did you contact Anthony and did you have any luck?

Thanks!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Following advice on this Forum from JRobinson, I now go to MyBuilder.com for this sort of thing
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've just used mybuilder.com to get some fencing done, with great success. It's a really great way to get tradesmen for these sorts of not-very big jobs.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Cce

Post by Cce »

Handy Jan the Handy Man is a very skilled carpenter and reasonable too. He built us a a beautiful wooden fireplace surround and installed shelves - he can pretty much do anything to be honest. 07786077287