Sydenham high street: street furniture

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Looks like the Sydenham high street works are underway which is great news. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the street furniture was going to be removed? I can see the unsightly telephone boxes with graffiti seem to be staying outside property world/ lloyds. Shame especially as there are more phone boxes further down the high street (I think near lidls?). Also looks like a post in the middle of the pavement is staying as well.

It would be good if some of the clutter and advertising boards on the pavements could be removed?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
jonathan_har

Re: Sydenham high street: street furniture

Post by jonathan_har »

I took this matter up first with the contractors who told me they had been instructed to leave the boxes in place, and then with Lewisham who after a bit of prodding and confused messages have confirmed that their objective is in fact to remove the phone boxes if redundant - pending discussions with the telecommunications companies etc. Anyway, I have asked for an update confirming exactly what is happening and will post here when I recieve it. I think we all agree that a well designed and maintained box is fine should there be the need for one, but the 2 knackered old boxes at the end of Venner Road are a wart on our beautiful new High Street?!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

jonathan_har wrote: I think we all agree that a well designed and maintained box is fine should there be the need for one, but the 2 knackered old boxes at the end of Venner Road are a wart on our beautiful new High Street?!
Agreed! Thanks for looking into this.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

A nice red one would be good! Bring a bit of old charm back to the high street. :0))

jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Jonathan thanks for following up on this. I did try to pop into rinleys office on sat but it was closed.

Looking fwd to hearing if something can be done :)

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ok, just a suggestion, no need for a sarcastic remark.

jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

An update on the dog-eared phone boxes - after much prodding I have recieved the following response from Lewisham:

"Jonathan,
There are a number of telephone boxes where the Council is trying to negotiate with the telecommunication companies about them being resited or removed where necessary. Getting the companies to approve the removal of these boxes without some financial costs is challenging, nor is such costs included for within the overall scheme budget. Some of them carry advertising and thus the telephone companies aren't keen for them to be removed. I am seeking legal advice internally on how this should be progressed. I cannot comment on what if any previous negotiations took place before my involvement in this project.
Thanks
Tom"

So it seems that budgeting and planning for removal of redundant phone boxes is not part of the High Street Works and is only now being looked at with the hope that money can be found and approval from the phone companies given. To not have included this in the High Street works is, I reckon, a major over sight bordering negligent. The case for de-cluttering our streets is well proven (e.g. High Street Kensington) and this was the oppurtunity, now possibly lost, to get them removed. It makes me cross! Anybody else? Jonathan
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Can anyone post up contact details for who owns these boxes. I'm sure many people here would be happy to contact them urging them to get them removed?

Don't know if it will get the job done but enough of us might make them think about it!

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Ronski wrote:Can anyone post up contact details for who owns these boxes. I'm sure many people here would be happy to contact them urging them to get them removed?

Don't know if it will get the job done but enough of us might make them think about it!

I'm fairly sure the boxes are owned by BT, and they get an income from them thanks to their value as advertising space.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It can be difficult to find the owners. One council had so much trouble finding out who owned a phone box the officer made a call on their credit card fromt he phone and waited for his bank statement.

They found the owner.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Thanks Jonathan for persuing this with the council. I'm saddened to hear its unlikely these will be removed particularly from my memory all the public consultations/ meetings I attended which spanned several years before the redevelopment of the high street it was always said by the council respresentatives the street furniture would be removed. It's a shame that during these years the council wasn't looking at & resolving the logistics of doing this.

I thought one of the main purpose of the high street regeneration project was to remove the street clutter & furniture not just go round it.Having said that I think Rineys are doing a good job with the pavements and im looking forward to the trees being planted.

Does anyone know if the the lewisham bins are being left as well or if these will be replaced?

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

How about lloyds Bank sponsoring the 2 boxes. Get the old style red boxes and refurbish them and paint in lloyds bank green. Good publicity for the local bank and a lot of community goodwill. BT gets new boxes and everyone is happy. Anyone know how much it would cost?
Just an idea.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Suppose I'm living in "la la land on this one"?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I actually really like the idea - you'd need to get Lloyds and BT to talk to ech other.

jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I also think its a great idea steveofsyd.