Allotment

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Willy

Allotment

Post by Willy »

It seems I have managed to get an allotment, anyone got any advice or know a good online resource so I can plan my veg growing properly?
CaptainCarCrash

Re: Allotment

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

You need to speak to Tim "Albert Tatlock" Lund. he is a curator of all things vegetable and owns a number of Allotments. I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

http://www.allotment.org.uk/ is excellent, and this book by the guy who runs the site seems as good a starting point as any.

When you get your first fruits, don't hide them under a bushel, but tell us about them on 'Sydenham Harvest'.

You might also be interested in this thread - Anyone got a rotovator?
multisync

Post by multisync »

Load of b------s really . We have had an allotment for the last 30 years at least. This year our allotment site has been so abandoned you would'nt believe it.Even our allotment secretary has given up I think!!!! There are so many people on the waiting list but om our site there are at least 50% unkept that you want to scream . Sort yout self out !!!!!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Where, multisync? Self or Council managed? Which borough? Pm me if you prefer.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Miss_Private

Post by Miss_Private »

Just out of curiosity Willy, how long were you on the waiting list, because I have been thinking
about signing up to get one, but apparently it takes forever...
?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Just out of curiosity Willy, how long were you on the waiting list, because I have been thinking
about signing up to get one, but apparently it takes forever...
I contacted the 3 nearest me (you can get a list from the council) and put my name down around May I think. All of them told me the waiting list was in years not months so I was a bit surprised to get one to be honest. I am going down there on Sunday to see it for the first time..I expect it will be overgrown and require some hard work to get it into shape before I can actually plant anything!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Which site Willy ?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Off Kent House Lane, the end of Cricket Lane apparently
multisync

Post by multisync »

I think that must come in Bromley borough. We have one in Lewisham, have had for years.Good luck in your allotment, hope it's not to overgrown and if it is don't use a rotivator as they just turn the ground over and the weeds will just come back. :D
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

multisync wrote:I think that must come in Bromley borough. We have one in Lewisham, have had for years.Good luck in your allotment, hope it's not to overgrown and if it is don't use a rotivator as they just turn the ground over and the weeds will just come back. :D
Yes - our neighbours the other side of Kent House Lane, and a member of Bromley Allotments and Leisure Gardens Federation, which deals with Bromley Council for any allotment sites in the borough - which are all self-managed. I think it works quite well - see this on how we agreed to share the burden of some cuts last year, in spite of what I wrote in that post
in the world of Bromley Allotments, I'm sometimes amused by all the levels where distrust and misunderstanding can occur - plotholders not trusting their site committees, site committees not trusting their representative organisation (BALGF), BALGF officers not trusting (some) Council officers, and maybe some distrust between Councillors and officers, although I'm not aware of this in this case.
But that's just what people everywhere are like :D