Station Approach Square

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Willy

Station Approach Square

Post by Willy »

So there was a square hole outside the station entrance which I thought would be used to plant a tree, maybe plant some flowers, or something along those lines....but no, instead it has been filled with some black tarmac! What is the point of spending all the money to smarten the place up if you are going to do things like that?
Cathy

Re: Station Approach Square

Post by Cathy »

I also thought they had left a space to put in a nice tree or flowers, but I was really dismayed when I saw the chap filling it in with tarmac :( Maybe 'someone' can put one of those wooden garden boxes on top of it??? I remain ever hopeful that it's going to look pretty :D
biscuitman1978

Station Approach Square

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I suspect it's a space for a lamp post or some other street furniture. There's no point laying a paving slab if it's going to be pulled up again in a few days, hence the tarmac as a temporary measure.

Bear in mind that the work isn't finished yet - a little patience wouldn't go amiss! But if people have real concerns in the short-term why not ask for more info in the Riney office on the high street? Simply moaning on this forum doesn't get you very far.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Not moaning - merely observing...
Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

Lewisham council does seem to have a complete aversion to street trees and planters, which is sad. I can't think of any street trees that have been planted locally for years. Now Bromley on the other hand.........
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Are they getting rid of the ugly toilets too?
NEMO

Post by NEMO »

When they pedestrianised the area around South Kensington Station, the contractors did exactly that.
Filled in the holes with tarmac.
Then they came back in the autumn and planted trees.

If you plant a tree at this time of year you have to water it constantly.
Plant it in the autumn and the rain dose it for you while the roots establish themselves.

Gardening tip there. :wink:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think it's worth keeping an eye on these things - we could keep a citizens' snagging list to present to the contractors at the end of the project. BUT we are nowhere near the end yet, so let's not assume that every temporary measure is going to become a permanent fixture.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

A tree is due to be planted where the tarmac is - in the late autumn/early winter. This gives the tree a chance to get its roots down and to thrive. Planting a tree (or trees as in other areas in Sydenham Road, and low hardy shrubs in the Cobbs Corner roundabout) at this time of the year means continuous work watering them before they are established, as NEMO is quite correct in pointing out.

And, yes, the toilet block is going to be replaced by a modern "no touch flush" system.

Rineys are doing a great job and are, we understand, ahead of schedule. Let's all try to exercise a bit more patience. Nothing is ever going to be perfect but it's a darn sight better already than previously
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Pat Trembath wrote: low hardy shrubs in the Cobbs Corner roundabout
So has this been decided? Do you know who will be looking after them?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pat
Excellent news - have to agree - the work seems to be progressing with minimum disruption and the effect is really welcome .
The trees and roundabout planting could be the crowning glory . It would be great if we could create some additional planting opportunities - you can never have enough big planters , trees or verges .
Is there any vehicle for an " adopt a flower bed" type scheme that anyone can think of? I think there is a lot of interest in adopting smaller sites , even the earth area around a tree as in Woodbastwick rd right up to larger sights maintained by groups .
I know " who is going to maintain them " is never far behind one I this type of discussion but you have to ask first "who is going to plant them ?".
Most trees maintain themselves for several years and if a local planting scheme does end up being forgotten then nothing has been really lost . The danger is we don't even try. So , I say well done so far to Riney and let's try to increase the leafiness of Sydenham
A very good morning
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

A couple of relevant but contrasting photos here:

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tim
I have but two words for you " year-round" and "interest ".
I love meadow effect and I revere the elegant fatsia japonica , pollinated as it is by the common housefly but neither of those schemes would appeal after summer.
What we need is architectural shrub, grasses ,ground cover all interspersed with some perennial flowering plants .
A dense planting would all but eradicate the dreaded " "maintainence " that people seem to fear when tree and shrubs are mentioned . If any community group step forward to take on the job I hereby pledge to help plan/plant/maintain . How nice it could look.
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel - you're right; year-round interest is what could make such a prominent planting location something further to be proud of about Sydenham. I wasn't particularly suggesting either of the two planting schemes I showed - it's just that the Chelsea Fringe one popped into my DropBox today, while the Beckenham photo is one I took a few years back. I put them up to bump the thread.

Personally, I'd like to see someone with the capacity and a long term commercial interest in providing year-round interest being given responsibility for the planting and maintenance, which could either be a business such as Shannon's or Alexandra Nurseries, or group of independent professional gardeners, working together. To make it worth while, they would have to be able to use the space to promote their business. This may not be what people first think of as 'community', but I think such local businesses are as 'community' as anyone else. And if they can engage amateur gardeners like you and me to help them, maybe offering discounts at their businesses, all the better.

(This could easily go off into a theoretical argument about communitarianism and economic liberalism, but if it does, let's do it on another thead :) )