Sydenham improvement works

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Steveofsyd

Re: Sydenham improvement works

Post by Steveofsyd »

No one knows?
And while we're at it (apologies if stated elsewhere) are we getting benches in the squares or are they being left bare out of fear of the local "winos" (where have they gone by he way?)?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The toilets are still going to be replaced by an off the peg jobbie (pun intended). The entrance to station approach pavement will be widened too.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Thanks Lee.
Will catch up with my usual source in Station Approach...the nice chap at the Cobblers.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

What do you think? Enfield bans spitting....can we make it an offence to spit/drop gum on our new pavements? They are getting dirty very quickly...do they get cleaned at night by chaps in those little vehicles or is it being left to the forces of nature.
It's in the council''s interests isn't it?
Yes enforcement will be a problem but I'm a firm believer that putting up signs will dissuade many an offender.

parker

Post by parker »

Yes, I'm looking forward to the widening of the pedestrian entrance of Sydenham Station Approach, that sloped corner is an utter death trap when it's icy. Will be great having some steps and new toilets that don't take up as much space as the current ones.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Impressed with new flower bed ( no flowers yet ) on the Venner Road Pedestrian area. The whole area is a big improvement , well done.

Only black spot was an all day drinker ( at 09 50 am ) siting outside Lloyds Bank. Why do some people feel the need to blight our area drinking at that time of day. Quite disgraceful , but what can you do.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't believe signs wont make any difference to spitting or chewing gum (which are habits more than anything, like dropping litter which is also illegal) and will only add to street clutter. The issue with new paving is that they get dirty. Not many places clean the streets and pavements, it's expensive. Kingston powerwash the streets every week, but they have a BID group and a lot of money to throw around.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Another first for me this morning! The first dollop of chewing gum stuck to my shoe since the new pavements. If memory serves, I think Pat T tried very hard to get Lewisham to invest in a chewing gum removal machine. To no avail. I'll ask her about it and maybe we could have another try at the sydenham assembly.

Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

You are right, Mary, I raised the matter several years ago.

Question was - could not the 18 Lewisham Wards share the cost of a chewing gum machine over 1 year out of Assembly funds spread over the 18 wards ? Response this idea would cost £50k for machine and operative. End of subject, sadly.

I, personally, think Wrigleys and others should be taxed out of their profits to clear up the problems after their products used.

Sorry to do this but - still waiting for Mr Lund's response to comment about a "left shimmy" on betting offices.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Come on Tim, the left shimmy remark was bordering on libelous. You really do need to retract and apologise.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Pat Trembath wrote:You are right, Mary, I raised the matter several years ago.

Question was - could not the 18 Lewisham Wards share the cost of a chewing gum machine over 1 year out of Assembly funds spread over the 18 wards ? Response this idea would cost £50k for machine and operative. End of subject, sadly.

I, personally, think Wrigleys and others should be taxed out of their profits to clear up the problems after their products used.

Sorry to do this but - still waiting for Mr Lund's response to comment about a "left shimmy" on betting offices.
I heartily agree re the chewing gum tax.

50K seems worth it to me to save our poor pavements. I wonder if they can be hired for an occasional clean up?

Still no word from Mr Lund?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Libellous? That's a bit far fetched. No one cried libel when I was branded a conservative by Tim among other things by others on this forum.

Pinches of salt all round I think.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tend to disagree re the enforcement angle - I think it works in central London where they operate various "50 quid a dog end " schemes .
They did it outside Penge East a few weeks ago and there definitely fewer cig for butts for a while .
A tax on Wrigleys would be great but short of that a few civil enforcement officers would pay for themselves , possibly generate a bit of income and reduce this unpleasantness .
Worth a try at least
Good evening
Nigel

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Re the cost of a cleaning machine and management @ £50k. Is this the first year cost? What are the ongoing costs.
Bearing in mind that the council have spent several million on the pavements, 50k seems a small price to pay to keep them looking good. If you had your car re-sprayed, you would hardly leave it covered in bird s**t.
Additionally I would point out that on repeated occasions the newly laid pavements have been dug up and relaid for lamps, planters, various electrical and pipeworks. Only today by the Venner square they were at it again - about the 6th time in that square! They will also have to be dug up again to remove the old lamp posts. Perhaps better planning might have made savings to be able to afford to maintain the pavements.

SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

Big trees are going in at the end of Venner and four huge metal posts have gone in too. The builders told us that a big permanent canvas awning will go up shortly to create a covered market space. It is lovely to see big flower troughs outside the very posh/expensive/freezing cold Co Op too. I now hear rumours that Costcutter is shutting because of Tesco and that the site opposite the health food shop near the station is going to be developed as housing. The old coach house at the High Street end of Newlands Park is being demolished next week too.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Well I hope that he architects of the new housing are from a different firm than the Purelake "School of Lego knockoffs"
Don't suppose there's any chance it will be in harmony with the existing buildings.
Re other news...couldn't be happier that the awful Costcutter is going. Always felt that I might catch something in there!

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Has anyone else noticed how badly the new pavements are affected by spilled liquids. For example Station Approach or to be honest everywhere else. Coffee or fizzy drinks...they seem to be covered in stains.
Anyone know what the problem is? Haven't seen them since the rain but will report back on condition since the natural washing.
Another question...is there a plan to wash the pavements , even infrequently, or they being left to just go black with the dirt so we won't notice the stains and gum.

mosy

Post by mosy »

Quote: "Anyone know what the problem is?" At a rough guess, I'd say because any composite flagstone is not impervious to staining unless coated time and again at intervals with a sealant, which ain't gonna happen. Even glass is porous which is why "water-sheeter" products are sold to stop even water settling in the minute pores. I suspect the choice of paving stones for the main road was carefully selected with stain-resilience in mind (as well as other things like non-slip etc). I think that is why, rightly or wrongly. Not sure how the pavements could be kept pristine without a bag full of money and all it'd be spent on.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

It's a shame, but I remember a time when a shopkeeper would throw a few buckets of water out front in the morning and sweep the pavement with a stiff brush.
Then again today, with the compensation culture, someone would sue if they slipped.
It bugs me, as you can tell, that it is looking so awful after such a short time. It needs a good jet wash.
Here's a suggestion: :-)
For about 10k you could give a jet wash to most of the independents from Mayo upwards. They could keep the pavement outside their shop clean. We could get B&Q to supply the machines at a discount...publicity and all that.
OK it's a lighthearted suggestion but I'm sure many feel the same.

mosy

Post by mosy »

Perhaps the council shot itself in the foot by charging for use of the small pavement area for outside goods, making it quite clear who owns (= controls) pavements? Some shopkeepers have a big enough problem trying to keep their indoor floor clear of chewing gum - maybe arm them with guns instead of Karcher washers and tell them to shoot on site anyone dropping gum :mrgreen: Edit: Nope, that won't work, littering the street with numerous bodies. Must have been watching too many US movies lately :lol: