Noise and disturbance at old Twilights site Easter Weekend

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Noise and disturbance at old Twilights site Easter Weekend

Post by gillyjp »

We have been woken up both last night (Easter Sunday) and the night before (or should I say early morning) by noisy people exiting the old Twilights club. Loads of cars parked in Peak Hill Gardens, Spring Hll, the Greyhound car park and all up Kirkdale.

My other half went round to investigate at about 6.00am this morning and said there were loads of police cars and even a man with a huge bbq on the pavement selling hot fast food in Kirkdale.

If this is going to be a regular thing every weekend, there will be a lot of residents being affected by this. We are going to try and find out if they have a licence, but in the meantime can anyone shed any light on this please? Why do people have to be so inconsiderate and shout and yell and slam car doors at this time of the morning when others are obviously asleep - or trying to in our case.

I would be very interested to find out if anyone else heard it or knows about it.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

I think you will find this has been going on (possibly once a month) for the last three months or so on a Saturday Night/Sunday morning. All up Westwood Hill and even in Hall Drive there are cars; 4 x4's etc parked there. The place must close at 6am, as within 20 minutes and after all the shouting and banging of car doors all the cars have gone. I noticed it again Sunday Night / Monday morning
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

I had noticed in and around the area prior to the event that posters advertising the night had been fly posted on various lamposts etc but I dont recall that it specified a closing time.
I would assume that a licence for such an event would be a pre-requisite otherwise the police would have surely shut it down way before 6:00am. I dont know wether it will be a monthly event but I suppose if we have a nightclub on our doorstep then its probably safe to assume that we are going to experience this type of situation again. Sorry I cant shed anymore light on this at the moment.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

My other half has just phoned Lewisham Council who informed him that the site has always had a licence to operate, etc until 6.00am in the morning most nights of the week and Sunday up to 3.00am. I guess it is the licence that Twilights had and just has not been revoked.

We have requested a review form. This is really not what Sydenham needs - a reputation for noisy party nights which go on till the early hours and clog up the streets with parked cars. Why do people have no consideration for others? I wouldn't dream of getting in my car in the early hours of the morning and shouting and banging the doors closed.

If anyone is interested or concerned enough, we may be starting up a petition to get the licence reveiwed and the hours cut to a more sensible level. However, for it to have any clout we will have to have more than a couple of signatures. We have emailed Chris Best and asked for her help. I am also asking the Sydenham Society to get involved. They may know about it already.

Please let me know if you would be interested in signing a petition to send to Lewisham Council.

Thank you
leaf

Post by leaf »

goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

My main concern would the the two halves which has an EOM rave monthly - and it in my opinion a total crap hole - this as far as I can see is a one off - the two halves have regular events nobody has moaned about that - people have to go the whole hog and stop all noisy events surely?? - either that wake up and realise we live in Sydenham (for all you "I wish we were like East Dulwich people")and these events continue to happen - I also recall seeing lots of people leaving what was Twilights every weekend a few years back in the early hours - why now are we making noises about this venue ??
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Although Twilights had an early morning licence I do not recall loads of people packing the road side to park their cars and then waking those unforutunate enough to live in the near vicinity at 4, 5 and 6 o'clock in the morning when they left.

People should at least have the manners to exit these all night raves quietly and understand that we do not all want to listen to conversations being yelled at to each other at that hour of the morning - car alarms going off and the like. This is a residential area and residents should not have to put up with that. Some people actually have to get up and do a day's work.

Why bring up East Dulwich? There are loads of pubs and eateries along that stretch but I bet no one is still hanging around making loads of noise in the early morning.

Twilights never exercised the options that the owner appears so inconsiderately to be exercising now.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I think you need to achieve a balance here.

I would totally agree with Gilly that it's totally unreasonable for regular noisy events to be held close to local residential areas when they end in the early hours of the morning. The local authority has had many complaints about the Two Halves and it too should have any excessive late night activities curtailed. I think that Gilly should talk to the Sydenham Society and the local authority and put a reasonable argument for a restriction to local licences. This would have the support of the majority of local residents.

Lordship Lane, for example, is a lively area with a good mix of pubs and restaurants. You can be certain that local residents there would not stand for club licencing hours that result in people leaving in the early hours of the morning.

What is needed is planning and direction from our local council with proper control of local businesses like the Two Halves and Twilights. The Dolphin has shown us that a pub can be orderly, well managed and commercially successful. We need more businesses like these.

No-one want to turn Sydenham into a cultural desert. Pubs and clubs that are well-organised and operate within defined hours should be welcomed -even if they do sometimes disturb neighbours around 11pm to midnight.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Nasaroc wrote.............

"No-one want to turn Sydenham into a cultural desert. Pubs and clubs that are well-organised and operate within defined hours should be welcomed -even if they do sometimes disturb neighbours around 11pm to midnight."

To be fair nasaroc i don't think jillyjp would worry if the noise stopped as early as 11pm/12pm,
its the 4/5/6am noise that she has stated as bothering her,
I have to keep my windows shut at night winter/summer now because of the inconsiderate people who make noise as they pass my house, i have to go to work early and 3/4 hrs sleep a night is not much fun i am all in favour of restricting noise
kster

Post by kster »

Has anyone who has been affected by the noise talked to the owners / promoters? It could be that those leaving the club are in high spirits and don’t realise the disturbance that they are making. In which case the club could minimise the noise by; getting people to park somewhere more suitable, giving a gentle reminder to those leaving that it is a residential area and to keep it down.

If that doesn’t work then I’m sure that any authority would look on a complaint more favourably if the club haven’t responded to local residents.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Has anyone who has been affected by the noise talked to the owners / promoters? It could be that those leaving the club are in high spirits and don’t realise the disturbance that they are making. In which case the club could minimise the noise by; getting people to park somewhere more suitable, giving a gentle reminder to those leaving that it is a residential area and to keep it down.

Thats why i posted the link to the promoters,i have been to clubnights where the dj has asked people to be respectful of the neighbours when leaving the venue.
[/b]
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

I did not see much of it but there was a documentary on channel 4 about that club.

Life Begins Again

Friday 04 May
12:45pm - 1:50pm
Channel 4

Gaby Roslin meets people who have opted to make a fresh start and change their lives. Single mother Rosie Martin dreams of running her own nightclub and, now that her daughters are teenagers, she hopes to renovate Twilights in Lewisham.

VIDEO Plus+: 9424920

Subtitled
otolo

Post by otolo »

Hi,

Does anyone have a contact for the Twilights venue?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Can I draw your attention to the information given on the thread about the Glamour Lounge on the Town Forum page headed "To All Sydenham Residents":

Glamour Lounge is situated at 291, Kirkdale Sydenham SE26 4QD(next to the Total Petrol Station) telephone 07932878520/ email info at glamourloungelondon.com for bookings and room hire.

Ask to speak to the manager
otolo

Post by otolo »

Thanks. Dropped an email through.