Tramlink Scrapped?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Cheers for the response Admin.

I have to admit trams are all a bit unfamiliar to me!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe we can continue the discussion at the DWH this evening?
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2769

Or just the outrageous price per pint!

Admin
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

admin wrote:Maybe we can continue the discussion at the DWH this evening?
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2769

Or just the outrageous price per pint!

Admin
what is the price per pint?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bensonby wrote:what is the price per pint?
More than 1/8d I think. And no mild at any price!

PS A local report on Boris in Bromley last night can be found here:
http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/ind ... topic=6563

Admin
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, Daddycat went to Mayor's Bromley Question Time - 600 people attended!

He seems to reckon that the Olympics would only cost us £20 extra per person to fund.

As for the Virtual Norwood poster who said that she couldn't get tickets, well it was free and you just had to turn up at 6pm to get in!

It was noted that the usual Crystal Palace mob were there in force....
gwynmaysey

Crystal Palace ELL

Post by gwynmaysey »

I think there was something about this in the Times on Friday. There are a number of TfL projects which are apparently no longer going to happen.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Juwlz wrote:What a complete bastard. He's doing it on purpose because we didn't vote for him in this corner of London.

how do you know this?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Annie wrote:
Juwlz wrote:What a complete bastard. He's doing it on purpose because we didn't vote for him in this corner of London.

how do you know this?
I don't. I just thoroughly enjoy any opportunity to have a go at Boris.
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

I'm very annoyed about this. There would have been a new station built next to me that would have regenerated my whole area (and it sorely needs it.) I admit that the financial benefit of increasing the value of my house price also made me very pro, but as I live exactly between three stations - Norwood Junction, Anerley and Birkbeck, I really don't think the current transport network is good enough when I have to walk 7-10 minutes to a station. It would not have cost that much either (running as it would on existing railway lines). The most expensive part was going up Anerley Hill to link with the buses, but that was probably the most useful part for anyone without a car. It would have made many more South London bus routes accessible to people in North Croydon.

What annoys me more than anything is that after taking part in all the consultation and completing survey forms, Tfl didn't even bother to reply to my email query of whether this was actually true or not. I would have expected an official letter to every resident along the extension route as the absolute minimum response. A meeting in Bromley with Boris is not good enough. Where was that advertised?
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

so you currently living 7-10minutes walk from three stations? And you're still moaning!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

fat_mike wrote:so you currently living 7-10minutes walk from three stations? And you're still moaning!
I have to agree - 7-10mins walk is pretty good!!
FergussonFamily

Well, maybe I'm a fast walker. Only Norwood Junction has any kind of reasonable off-peak service, and 10 minutes with a suitcase or shopping is much longer.

This thread was comparing North and South London before. If you compare South East London with North, or even the South West where there are tube lines and tramlink, then the transport is much better. The ability to get across London rather than simply radially into the centre is far better. The buses connect with bus stations built next to tube and railway stations, and distances between tube stations is about half that between train stations. I can only think of West Croydon and Lewisham where that happens in the South.

Not only that, but any further increase in the use of car transport in London is just not going to work as the roads are already full, and ideas such as a dual carriageway South Circular were abandoned years ago. Increases in duty, road tax, congestion charges and tolls, as well as rail fares, were all made with the promise of increased public transport. If they continue to keep taxing the car user, but provide no other alternatives, how can this make any difference at all? This was exactly the kind of scheme necessary to get people to leave cars behind at home.

And although the local bus service has improved, a large proportion of my taxes are being spent on refurbishing the Underground, something that I use very rarely.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

7-10 minutes to a station is pretty damn good. Beats me.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

But you also have to remember that north london house prices are a lot higher. When you consider similar places like Crouch end and East Dulwich, a house of the same period is about 100k or more higher.
FergussonFamily

I have now had a reply from Tfl, though it has taken them 20 days (14 working days):
The Tramlink extension to Crystal Palace is one of the previous Mayor’s promised projects which never had any money set aside to construct them. It previously had money allocated up to 2010 for development but there is no funding for implementation. The Mayor has decided that the allocated expenditure for development should be directed to projects that are both fully funded, and will make a real difference to London. This means that tram schemes with much merit, such as the Tramlink extension to Crystal Palace will be re-assessed.

You may be aware that in the summer, TfL took direct control of the Tramlink system. This will allow TfL to plan effectively for the future development of Tramlink as an integral part of the TfL network. Immediate improvements have already been made to the infrastructure in order to improve service reliability and enhance service levels. TfL has committed to conduct a wider study to consider the transport needs of this part of Outer London. This will include an assessment of the longer term role of Tramlink and potential enhancements to the network. A recommendation from this study will form part of a future funding bid to Government.

I have to agree that the frequency of Trams to Beckenham Junction has improved, but there is little to tempt me out of my car on a cold winter morning.